Part 5

Characters: reader, Bucky (Jimmy), Wanda.

Summary: Discovering the cute guy you just flirted with is the heir of a rival bakery, you suddenly find yourself running into him all over the city. Can your small boutique bakery compete? And how do you deal with the guy who seems determined to make your life a living hell? Luckily you're distracted by a secret admirer...But who is he? (Inspired by "You've Got Mail", Enemies to Lovers)

Warnings: none! Mild swearing?

Word Count: 1.5k

A/N: Ahh!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your love and support for this series. it means the world to me. There's a lot more snark and sweetness coming up and I can't wait to hear what your thoughts are!! Any and all feedback is appreciated. i adore you all. <3

__________________________________

It's a rotten morning when you're awake even before your 4:30am alarm, unclogging a toilet. Your life was so glamorous. Mrs. Carter in 3G had called multiple times in the middle of the night and you finally answered, since she clearly wasn't giving up. By the time you got back to your apartment, it was almost 5am. You were exhausted and now running late. Wonderful.

A brief, hot shower later and you were walking through the bakery into the safe space of your kitchen. Baking always put you in a calmer state after such a frazzled morning. But first, coffee. You added fresh grounds to the reservoir and hit the button to brew before tying on your apron and washing your hands.

It was a croissant day, so you pulled your chilled dough from the fridge. Carefully, you rolled it into a perfect rectangle and then folded into thirds before wrapping it again. One more hour in the fridge and it would be ready to turn into croissants. The oven was on with the usual pastries baking when you got a text from "B", and this time with an image attached.

Your heart leapt into your throat as you opened the attachment, excited and nervous. It was of a mug of coffee, still steaming, with the caption "Most important meal of the day." No identifiable clues as to who your mystery texter was, and for a split second you were disappointed. Did you really want to know who it was? What happens then? Would you share who YOU were? That was too much to worry about so early in the morning.

Shaking off the thoughts, you clicked the icon for your phone's camera and snapped a photo of your own mug of coffee with one word added. "Agreed." Before sending it, you made sure nothing in the background would give the receiver any idea of your location. You hit send.

The oven timer went off then and you went about finishing all the pastries to sell and deliver. Wanda texted that the train was delayed and she would be a little late, so you took down the chairs and got the pastry case ready for the shop to open. Fresh coffee was brewing as Wanda walked through the door.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N!" she exclaimed immediately upon entering.

"It's fine, seriously, I have things handled," you assured her with a smile. "But I might have to duck back upstairs in a little while for a nap. Today started even earlier than usual," you said with a tired sigh.

"Ooh. I'm sorry. Tenant problems?" Wanda grimaced.

You just shrugged. "Nothing I can't handle. I'm off to deliver. If I happen to be gone when the food delivery truck arrives, will you text me? I won't be far away."

"Of course," she agreed, tying on her own cute apron and pulling her hair back.

"See you in a bit!"

_________________________

Your last stop of the day at the Nest proved a little more difficult, since the most convenient parking spot was currently occupied by a Barnes Bakery delivery van. Of course it was. Walking a little further than usual, you arrived slightly out of breath with arms aching as you pushed through the glass door. You staggered the last few feet and placed the two boxes on the counter with a huff. It was then that you noticed your nemesis leaning on said counter. Again.