41

Penny and Rosie were overwhelmed as they boarded the train back to Hogwarts on September first,  and all eyes were on them. More accurate, all eyes were on Rosie but neither girl was likely to leave the other so all eyes were on them. Of course, work had spread like fire across the wizarding world about Rosie's new status. She had, essentially, been adopted into a pureblood family and over the summer the wizarding world turned to chaos

It didn't really help that Rosie was already pretty famous, secondhand fame she got through her nephew. Pureblood families were the most vocal about Rosie, but even they wouldn't dare step out of line.

So while Rosie and Penny boarded the train on platform nine and three quarters, Sebastian being the one to escort them on their final first day of Hogwarts, they did their best to ignore the way every pair of eyes was on them.

*******

"Uh, can I talk to Rose?" Peter Mason, a Gryffindor seventh year, asked as he paused by the door of Rosie and Penny's train car. Rosie looked up from her book at the mention of her name.

No one ever called Rosie by her 'real' name. Everyone from school called her 'Rosie'. Even the teachers. Rosie and Penny shared a look before Rosie finally nodded and rose to her feet. Rosie knew of Peter, he was on the Gryffindor Quidditch team and was rather popular as a result. She was also sure she must have had some classes with him at one point or another, Ravenclaw and Gryffindor had never had any trouble getting along outside the Quidditch pitch. But Rosie had never actually spoken to the boy- was shocked that he even knew her name.

Peter had come to her fairly early on in the train ride so the halls were still crowded as students scrambled to find a free seat with their friends. Bill would be joining Penny and Rosie after his Prefect meeting. The two seventh years had to struggle to walk down the hallways side by side- something Peter seemed to be particularly insistent that they did. Rosie noticed the way he glanced over at her every few steps as if he wanted to make sure she was still there but she tried her hardest not to pay attention to it. Honestly, she just wanted to know what he wanted with her so that she could get back to her studying.

It appeared Peter had the intention to lead her on a little hike though.

"Was there something you wanted, Peter?" Rosie finally stopped them, right before they entered the Slytherin carriage. That was exactly where she had no business being so soon after the news she was a Black was released. And besides that, she really didn't know why Peter needed to take her on a train tour of Scotland to talk to her about whatever it was he wanted to speak to her about. 

Peter, ever the confident boy, looked down at his feet, his cheeks tinged with embarrassment. That, in of itself, was enough for Rosie to begin to understand what was happening. The same signs that Rosie new recognized Bill exhibiting before the Christmas dance.

Before she could let him down nicely, Peter looked up with determination shining in his brown eyes.

"WillyougotoHogsmeadewithme?!" The words were so jumbled together Rosie could hardly understand them. But she did understand them.

There was a long silence after Peter asked Rosie to Hogsmeade, one in which Peter's normally tan face turned a shade of red similar to the one on his school tie. It looked like he was moments from throwing in the towel and stalking off to pout, actually.

Rosie thought about the question. She had never spoken to Peter before then, had never even said hello in the wallway when they were passing one another. She had no idea what would make a boy like him want to ask a girl like her out, but she imagined it had something to do with the subtle curves puberty had been working to bless her with over the summer. Whether it was her new breasts or something else though, Rosie decided there would be no harm in accepting his offer. She had never been on an actual date before and if nothing else perhaps Rosie could convince him to buy her some sugar quills at Honeydukes.