16. an introduction (Tokie + Inari)

The man chuckles and continues to have small talk with me. Ah. I know this. He is trying to gauge my intelligence. My wisdom too, perhaps.

Looking at his appearance and the way he confidently carries the conversation, he surely is a rich person who might entertain the idea to invest in Mikagami family.

Before I bring up the talk about investment, there is something else I need to address. The little boy behind standing him, is this man not going to introduce us to each other? On that matter, he didn't tell me his name, did he?

"I have seen the portrait of the great inventor Tokie Mikagami. It is pleasant to know that you are a spitting image of her," the man chuckles, treating his sentence lightly, as if as a joke

I, a spitting image of great-great-great-aunt? After hearing the rumour, it is pleasant to know that you can confirm it yourself right here, right now, isn't it?

Keeping my smile, I nod my head, "I am often told that too, Mister. I aim to grow as a great inventor too!"

"That's a good take on life, Miss Tokie," the man nods his head while smiling. After a while, as if just recalling something, the man steps aside to show the boy behind him to me. Putting a hand on the boy's head, the man tells me, "This one here is my Son, Inari,"

"Nice to meet you, Inari!" without knowing anything about him, I cheerfully greet him. I don't fail to notice the man doesn't give me their family name.

"Nice to meet you," nodding, the boy, Inari greets back

"Inari here is a quiet child. I hope you are able to befriend him, Miss Tokie," the man gives me an option I have no reason to refuse, as it is quite an innocent request

But, for me... Is he not trying to use his Son to gain something from me? The secret to inventions, for example?

I might be thinking too much about it, but with my life as it is, a suspicion is not unwarranted.

Like I said, having no reason to refuse, I cheerfully agree to befriend his Son. Target achieved, the man then excuses himself with the pretence for us to play together.

That man is no good, huh. Having someone like him to be our investor will only tire us out just by dealing with him alone.

Watching the man's back, I lose my smile. However, the smile returns quickly for his Son is still here.

Again, testing his depth, I reintroduce myself, "I am Tokie Mikagami. Let's get along~"

Nodding, the boy reintroduces himself, "I am Inari Kisaragi. Let's get along,"

Family name, get. Kisaragi, is it? Inari Kisaragi... I seem to have learnt that name from somewhere before.

In any case, this boy seems to be at the same age as me, with his neatly trimmed raven hair and crimson eyes. He is quite...good looking, from a child's perspective. If he grows up like his Father, then he will be handsome, as Mother would say.

Comparing him to Big Brother Tokito who has a gentle aura with his kind gaze from his rose-coloured eyes and strawberry blond hair, I like the kind Tokito better. This quiet Inari is not bad as a companion to this me who prefer silence, but as I am trying to be like great-great-great-aunt, we, right now, might be a bad match.

I do wonder when I can become myself and not the great-great-great-aunt's copy.

After standing around doing nothing, not even looking at each other, I muster up a smile and cheerfully suggest, "Why don't we go grab food? The cake will be cut later, so while waiting for that, let's eat!"