17. a deal (Tokie + Shin)

"What does he want in return?" I question, not quite suspiciously but certainly with wariness

"He wants us to work for him," Tokito responds slowly, "For as long as the period in which we require his support,"

"Do you mean, since it takes about nine to ten years until we are able to work at the research institute, we will have to work for him for nine to ten years too?" thinking about it, it is only...fair. Yet, depending on how much we earn to return the investment, are we allowed to cut off the period in which we have to work for him?

"That's right," Tokito nods and smile lightly, glad that I understand the term quickly

Of course, I understand. I may be young, but I am taught a lot. I also bring up my question to Big Brother.

"We haven't discussed it in details yet," Tokito tells me, a little hesitantly, "He said he will come and visit us after he talks to his family... Honestly speaking, it is only because we are from Mikagami family, with a Tokie Mikagami with us, that Shin says there is a chance the negotiation will be successful,"

I know. I know Tokie Mikagami will be used. I have expected that much when I suggested it.

A negotiation. Between families, I expect. This is honestly a matter adults should handle, after all.

Tokito then leans into me to secretly whispers, "Because I told him our track record of producing good inventors is not high, there is a chance that we will need to offer insurance,"

"What kind of insurance?" I am slightly worried Shin might ask for something we can't offer

Tokito is averting his gaze. Then, without looking at me, with barely audible voice, he says, "An engagement..."

An engagement. Between me and him?

I am suddenly feeling lightheaded.

"It's just a possibility!" Tokito hastily tells me as he stares at me in worry, "Shin said he will do his best to have a favourable outcome for us!"

Since it's for our family... I will not be against it... For our family...

At this rate, it seems like it will be easier for us to go straight to work at the research institute than being in debt.

"Why would he do so much for us?" shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I ask with honest curiosity

"Because we are friends," Tokito says with a weak smile, "There is also..."

I would rather we talk all about it now without hiding anything. Understanding my will, Tokito firmly tells me, "There is a chance Mister Kisaragi put Inari with you in the hope to...ensnare you,"

Ensnare me because I am Tokie Mikagami? A somewhat similar scenario to Shin's plan.

Because of the great inventor Tokie Mikagami, I, someone who bears the name but not the greatness, am being evaluated highly for my blood and relation.

...

"Big Brother," wanting to know something different, I inquire, "We don't really associate with the family great-great-great-aunt married to, do we?"

"I don't know the details," Tokito gives a quite careless shrug, "But I heard that they live in another Country,"

Ah. Did great-great-great-aunt marry to someone not from Daruma?

"If they are here, surely we will burden them with unreasonable requests," being the one who once witnessed the unreasonable request from a relative who has cut ties with us, Tokito sounds bothered for us to become like that later, by chance we reconnect with that side's family