19. a birthday (Tokie + Inari)

An invitation to Inari Kisaragi's birthday party comes one month after mine.

Tokito, me, and Shin are all invited. We go to the hotel they hold the birthday party separately, but we sit together there.

"How are you two?" taking a seat beside me, Shin greets us

"The usual," Tokito, who is also beside me, replies, "How about you?"

"Nothing strange happened," Shin replies casually

"That's good?" giving him a confused smile, I act cheerful while tilting my head at him

Shin chuckles and nods his head, "That's good, that's good,"

Today, besides Inari's birthday present, I also bring along my squirrel doll. Shin definitely takes notice of it. In a teasing way, he asks if we give Inari a doll too.

"Yup! Made by Big Brother!" I cheerfully boast to Shin, despite Tokito's reluctance

"Heee... Make one for me too," Shin requests to Tokito, seemingly in a teasing way

I wonder if he is serious about it.

"Aren't you too mature to get a toy as a present?" smiling without meaning it, Tokito responses without a will to do as Shin requests

"Oh, you just have to use that against me, huh?" rolling his eyes, Shin retracts his requests

I see. Behind my back, something like that was said.

The party starts and the meal is distributed. We are eating at a restaurant within the hotel owned by Inari's Father. The atmosphere is really different to a party held at home.

After Inari cuts the cake, some waiter and waiters distribute them. Only.

Only my cake is delivered by Inari himself.

I am quite surprised.

Before he leaves after putting the piece of cake on the table in front of me, I ask him, "Are you busy after this?"

Inari blinks at me and shakes his head, "I have finished my duty,"

"Why don't you sit here and eat with us then?" I invite him to sit on the same table as us good-naturedly, since there is an empty seat left in a table for four, "Or, are you going back to your family?"

Just like what Tokito told me before, Inari's family consists of parents and two older sisters. A table for four with five people sitting together... That's impossible.

After hesitating for a bit, Inari nods and takes a seat across from me.

Tokito and Shin greet Inari after he sits down. Swiftly, a passing waiter gives Inari a meal and a piece of his birthday cake.

That's right. Smiling, I tell Inari, "Thank you for the cake!"

Inari nods, "You are welcome,"

Smiling, Shin mentions me, "Aren't you kind?"

"Kind? Big Brother Tokito is kinder than me though!" eagerly, I let them know my opinion

Shin chuckles, "Of course he is kind to you, Tokie,"

"Of course I am kind to my family," with a sweet smile, Tokito pats my head

Although Tokito is patting my head gently, his eyes are glaring at Shin.

I see the corner of Inari's lip turning up for a bit, even though he is quietly eating without looking at anyone.

The reason I am inviting Inari here is because... Inari is also a friend. Even though it's Mister Kisaragi's will, I did agree to become Inari's friend.