16 | regroup and restore

'Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.' 

— Lao Tzu

"WOAH, IT'S SO DARK in here," Minhyuk mumbled as he stepped aside to let Ri in

"WOAH, IT'S SO DARK in here," Minhyuk mumbled as he stepped aside to let Ri in. She wrinkled her nose at the sudden stench of chemicals. It didn't smell like an office, it smelt like a broom closet full of acid and mothballs.

"Where's the li-" as if on cue, the lights flickered to life. The room definitely had a large shelving unit full of bottles and containers of different shapes and sizes. Some had warning labels plastered around them in varying shades of red. At the far corner, there was an old, wooden desk that looked like it'd come straight out of the 50s. The shiny iMac on top of it made the table look even older.

Ri moved quickly, taking long strides and coming to a stop right in front of the computer. Giving it a quick once over, she pulled out the dusty chair, thought twice about sitting down and then turned it on.

Everything went uphill from there.

In just a few minutes, she was able to find and pull up Monday's files off the internet. Ri could feel Minhyuk's gaze on the screen and she resisted the urge to defend herself. Sure, it might not've been the safest or smartest decision to release Monday out into the world, not when she was so young, but her stupid decision was going to save their asses so-

"Good- Good evening, M-m-miss Ri. My apolo- seems to be a virus. Just a mo-mo-moment." Monday's smooth voice was reduced to a staticy jumble of broken sentences. Ri sucked in a harsh breath and scooted closer to the screen, scouring the lines of code for a disruption.

"Is she okay?" Minhyuk's concern was palpable and at any other time, Ri would've felt touched but right now she felt consumed in a flurry of anxiety and worry.

"She's going to be fine," she muttered, hands flying over the keyboard. Ri cursed herself for rushing into things and not checking over the damn software. Of course Ingrid wouldn't just leave her stuff unprotected.

There was a ping and the screen flickered, refreshing itself. Monday's voice filtered through the computers speakers, "I'm sorry for causing unnecessary concern, I've found the problem and have dealt with it efficiently. All is well."

All was most definitely not well, Ri thought bitterly.

"I'm glad to see you alive, Miss Ri and Mister Kim. Current overviews of the LuNa Industries incident show that the terrorists have not yet reached an agreement with the authorities and are still holding employees hostage, including Mister James. He is showing signs of exhaustion, but is still safe," Monday continued before Ri had the chance to speak up, "I've tried tracking your coordinates, Miss, and have made some startling discoveries."