Chapter 3

Oh you thought I only had one dabbing Toby? Well you thought wrong.

And I submitted my essay 3 hours before it was due XD

Also so my uncle decided at the last minute to take me to California with him... like I was given a 3 hour notice to pack my bags... while I'm sitting there trying to finish my essay on time XD

But yeah so I'm on my way to Cali rn

•••••

I probably looked insane. I had all the envelopes and their contents spread out on the desk. I kept rereading the words trying to figure out what was going on. Did the letters have hidden messages? None that I could find. And there's no way those photos were edited. It looked too real. I shivered. I had a pad of paper next to me and on it, I had written what I remembered from my call with Jim.

I didn't want to admit it, but I already had a slight idea of what was going on. At this point, I was no longer trying to figure it out, but instead I was trying to find any other excuse I could use to explain all this. I couldn't.

All I knew was that Jim and Rebecca must have upset some pretty dangerous people and those people were after them. But to avoid being most likely murdered, Jim and Rebecca fled the country and left me in their place. And whoever is after them hasn't realized that the person inside this house isn't either of their targets. From what I understand, the person targeting them is killing wealthy families, possibly families that are friends of Jim and Rebecca in hopes of making them give up.

What I don't understand is why they are after Jim and Rebecca. What did they do? And why haven't they just barged into the house yet? If they're capable of killing loads of innocent people, then surely they can pick a lock, right?

But perhaps this isn't a normal criminal. Maybe this is all a game to them. Jim warned me not to leave the house. Will I be attacked as soon as I leave? And what am I supposed to do if I can't call the police?! I banged my head against the desk.

Jim seemed really paranoid. So did Rebecca. Maybe they did something to the house to prevent anyone from getting in? I can't rely on that though. If someone does manage to get inside, I need to be ready. And what's worse is even if they don't get inside I might die anyways. What happens when I run out of food? If I leave, I'll die. If I stay, I'll die. What do I do?

I decided to search the house. I hadn't really done that much exploring since I've come here. Maybe they have a secret safe room somewhere? At the very least, I hope I can't find a gun or something.

I practically tore every room apart. I threw every book off of every shelf, moved every rug, looked under every piece of furniture, and knocked on every wall hoping to find some sort of secret room or something. I had almost given up. All that was left was a bathroom and the kitchen. I sighed and made my way towards the bathroom.

I turned on the water and splashed my face. I stared into the mirror and noticed the bags beginning to form under my eyes. I shook my head. I looked down, about to turn the water off, when I noticed something. Instead of two knobs to control the water and it's temperature, there was three. What's this supposed to do, change the water into some fancy rich people drink?

Curiously, I slowly turned the knob. Even though I knew it probably had a stupid purpose, my heart still pumped rapidly. I took a deep breath and quickly turned the knob the rest of the way. I heard a soft click and was immediately hit in the face.

"Ow! What the fuck?!" I exclaimed, stepping back and holding my face. When I finally got over the pain I looked up.

Woah.