Chapter Thirty-Six

It was four o'clock on Wednesday, and I was silently freaking out.

I was already dressed; I chose a plain maroon dress, the skirt flowing smoothly down below my knees, with a beige cardigan on top of my shoulders to make it look a bit more casual, and my light brown flats were waiting by the door. I left my hair falling loose over my shoulders, its gentle waves free from the hairband I'd almost always wore every day.

I looked up at the mirror, the light, striking blue eyes stared back at me almost challengingly, and I let out a frustrated breath. After what felt like forever, the clock on my bedside table reminded me that Jonah could be here any time soon, so I started working on my makeup.

I decided with a simple makeup; light blush on my cheekbones, sparkly, light golden eye shadow, and soft nude lips, topping it of with a sheer gloss. The only thing that really stood out was the winged eyeliner, to make my blue eyes shine a bit brighter. I gave myself a onceover one more time. I didn't look half bad.

I paced around in my bedroom, waiting as the seconds ticked by, trying to calm myself down. I was so nervous about meeting Jonah's family. I wanted to give the best first impression, but didn't know what to expect.

Then it finally happened; the faint sound of the doorbell. Jonah was here.

There was a slight bounce in my steps as I made my way downstairs, and I was actually shaking behind the front door. Jonah was lightly knocking on the door to let me know that he was still waiting there even after nearly three minutes of me still not opening the door for him, and I took a few deep calming breaths and closed my eyes.

I reached out and swung the door open, and both of our eyes instantly widened.

Jonah looked fiiine. He had on black pants, dark brown cardigan with a grey collared shirt peeking underneath, topped with unbuttoned, somewhat casual, tuxedo jacket. He looked absolutely dashing, even though his hair was left in its usual not-messy mess.

But what got my jaw falling to the ground, as well as my heart doing somersaults, was not how he looked.

It was the flowers he had in his hands.

Daisies. A bouquet of pink and white daisies, with tiny multicolored baby's-breaths filling in the gaps, neatly wrapped with beige paper and tied with a small, white ribbon.

"Hi," I stammered, before looking down at myself. "Am I dressed appropriately for the occasion?" I asked, biting my lip nervously.

My voice seemingly pulled him out of his reverie, because he instantly looked up into my eyes after checking me out. "Yes, you definitely are," he answered, stuttering as well. Slowly, he held out the daisies he had in his hands, and quietly said, "For you."

I felt warm all over my body as I reached out and and took the flowers. "Thank you," I told him. "Come on in for a while, I'm gonna put these away."

I left Jonah in the living room to look for a vase in the kitchen. I found Mom, already gushing at the daisies in my hands and opening up a cabinet to grab a vase for me.

"Oh, Hannah, you look absolutely beautiful," she said to me. "Do I need to take pictures of you and Jonah?" she added.

"No, it's fine. I don't wanna be late." I shook my head and carefully putting the  "

"Alright. Thank you, Mama. And, uh, thanks in advance for taking care of Daisy. The doll, I mean."

She waved me off. "Go have fun with your prince charming."

My face warmed. "He's not my prince charming." I cleared my throat and patted my skirt down, making sure everything was neat and smooth. "I'm just gonna go back there," I told her before she could launch some inappropriate comment about Jonah and I (with my mom, who knew what she would say). "See you later, Mom!"