Chapter Forty-Two

Despite the fact that everyone was reassuring her that everything was okay and that she had done nothing wrong, Renata certainly didn't feel like everything was okay and she knew very well that something was wrong

Despite the fact that everyone was reassuring her that everything was okay and that she had done nothing wrong, Renata certainly didn't feel like everything was okay and she knew very well that something was wrong. To go so long without any trouble and suddenly be faced with not only a night terror but with an episode that caused James to call her brother over, it left her really nervous. Not to mention, she could sense the tension around her, no one could really lie to her face because she knew what they were feeling. The only person wearing a genuine smile the majority of the time was Harry and that was because he didn't know what was happening around him.

The amount of guilt she felt was overwhelming because the last thing she ever wanted to do was place her troubles on James and Harry. They had been through enough and it wouldn't be fair to have them face her problems. After Adelmo left, Renata was kept occupied by Harry, who was playing with his toys in her lap, but whenever she glanced up, Sirius and James were watching her. The smiles on their faces were fake, given away by the look of concern in their gazes. It made her believe that something else had happened, perhaps something they weren't telling her.

Had something else happen during the time she couldn't remember? Had she said something hurtful or bizarre that they were having a difficult time comprehending? Adelmo had said nothing of the sort, but Renata knew her brother all too well. He would keep things from her if it meant protecting her, he had done it many times before.

When Harry grew bored of the toys in hand, he left to his room to collect others, leaving Renata with the chance to look over in the direction where Sirius and James were talking outside. Every so often, James would look inside to see if she was alright, and when he saw that she was sitting in the living room, looking at him, he stopped talking to Sirius and excused himself to come inside.

"Is everything alright?" he asked her as he walked in, his eyes scanning the room for Harry.

"I find myself asking the same question, Mr Potter," she replied quietly, " I feel as though my presence is making you nervous. Would you like me to leave?"

James' face drained of all colour at the sound of her suggestion as it was the last thing he wanted. He couldn't even bring himself to verbally answer right away as it had left him speechless. But he did manage to shake his head before he made his way over and crouched down in front of her.

"No, I don't want you to leave," he said, " I would never want that. I definitely want you to say and your presence isn't making me nervous-"

"But you are nervous, are you not?"

Glancing over his shoulder, James looked over at Sirius, who was waiting outside and called for him to take Harry outside. Despite Adelmo wanting to wait to talk to Renata, he needed to talk to her. She was just going to pick up on the vibes around her and there was no way they could just keep lying to her face. Now James understood her abilities as an Empath and if she continued to sense something was wrong, it was going to weigh heavy on her mind.