Directionless

Nathaniel Spade Vega stared down at the year-end project in his hands like he had a thousand times before and carefully set it down even though every emotion that swirled inside him wanted to lash out and be destructive. There was a tiny apartment filled with broken odds and ends and a punching bag that was weeping it’s innards out to prove his destructive streak was as wide as his father’s and yet this project of photographs was sacred and beyond his fury. He loved photography, knowing that he saw the world a little differently than most were able to and was able to capture that perspective with his lens in ways he could never just describe to others. This last project of his was even something he was remarkably proud of, and horribly tempted to hide away from the world because it made him feel vulnerable to display it. And when Nate felt vulnerable he went to one of two people, his best friend or his father.

But since it was well past midnight and he didn’t want to explain why he was at his parent’s house instead of his own little apartment, Nate just sat on the family room couch and tried to get his mind to quiet. Although the couch was new, Nate could just close his eyes and breath in the smell of his family, letting the lingering scent of chili peppers, gravy and the faint musk of whatever animal his mother had been working on during the day just fill his empty space inside up. He always knew he was a bit of an emotional wimp compared to what he should act like, but there was some part of Nate that was just able to turn off the emotions and be the more masculine version others expected. He’d done it earlier that night to avoid being overwhelmed by his turbulent emotions while talking to Grace, but like a true suck, here he was running to mommy and daddy to deal with them now.

“I can hear you brooding from here.” Adri, Nate’s younger sister said softly from the hallway entrance.

Nate opened his eyes and looked at his baby sister. She was actually older than Grace was, though Adri had inherited the slight frame of her namesake instead of their mother’s height so she appeared younger. It didn’t help that the dark haired Latina was wearing soft, girlie looking pajamas. “Guilty as charged.” Nate admitted with a pride free shrug.

“Did you already destroy your apartment again?” Adri asked with a quirked eyebrow, coming into the room and sitting on the couch next to him.

There had been days growing up that Nate would have gladly sold his sister just to get rid of her, but now that they were both a little older, and he had moved out of the house, they got along much better. She was the only person who knew how Nathaniel felt about his best friend, and that was mostly because she was the third musketeer to their Athos and Porthos. Although after he had moved away from home, Adri had become a little more somber and less apt to act ridiculous. She was trying to convince their parents that she was a responsible adult now, something no one quite believed yet. Even without Nate spilling the beans on the fact that she had a fake ID.

Nate didn’t answer Adri’s question, instead just letting his silence answer for him because his little sister knew his moods rather well. Self preservation had convinced her to learn to read him and she knew his typical responses. “Colby and Grace are going to the Fall Ball together. You going with anyone?” Nate asked instead, not able to just open up to his little sister about what was eating at him, the man code would not allow it.

Adri just gave a lopsided smile and nudged Nate in the ribs a little. “I can if you want someone to keep an eye out for you.” She suggested, knowing he wouldn’t be comfortable coming right out and saying it. But to Adri’s evident surprise, Nate shook his head negative.