01.

PHASE ONE

          Heavy rainfall and Givēon's baritone voice were the sounds of comfort Asha used to get through her morning

Heavy rainfall and Givēon's baritone voice were the sounds of comfort Asha used to get through her morning. The sun was hidden behind thick, dark clouds but she still had her curtains parted to invite some form of natural lighting. She sat on the floor, left hand pushing on her macbook's keypad, right hand playing as a bookmark, and a ballpoint pen stuck between her teeth. Mid-term week was approaching quicker than she anticipated so instead of sleeping in for a late night out like her friends, she was focused on reviewing material. It wasn't her ideal Friday but it would have to do until she was confident she'd test well.

School had always been a big deal for her. Since grade school, she took pride in obtaining good grades to hear her parents brag on to their family or reward her with new things. School made her feel smart, opposite of what she felt at home. For majority of her life she wasn't the 'brightest' when it pertained to common knowledge. She'd lacked common sense because she hadn't been exposed to practicalities until she reached high school. Her level of common sense still wasn't as high as her book sense but she wasn't a total ditz and that counted for something.

"I don't remember learning this." she mumbled, double-checking the midterm's criteria list. A chapter was listed that the class hadn't reviewed the entire semester and she was confused.

She stretched her arm toward her bed and felt around for her phone. There was no way she was the only one noticing the added chapter. Once her hand landed on her phone, she unlocked it and opened Whatsapp to question her classmates. However, someone had beaten her to the punch and people were in a panic, wondering how much of the new material would actually be on the test. A sigh pushed through Asha's lips. Not only did she need to review old material to refresh her memory, she would have to learn a whole chapter as well.

"I need to take a break." she shook her head.

She slammed her macbook shut and used her pen to bookmark the page in her textbook. An unexpected rumble of thunder practically shook the house and gave Asha a heart attack. The sound of doors opening and feet running across the floor made Asha giggle. A few seconds later, her roommates were bursting through her door to 'safety' like they always did when there was a thunderstorm. Jema and Victoria were both terrified of thunder and used Asha to comfort them during the loud storm.

"Sorry, Asha." Victoria crawled into the queen sized bed with Jema right beside her. "But you know we need you."

"It's okay, Toria. I'm taking a break from studying right now anyway." Asha pushed herself up from the carpeted floor. "Y'all want anything from the kitchen while I'm in there?"

"No, just hurry back." Jema scooted closer to Victoria.

Asha tip toed across the cold floor and down the staircase of the five bedroom home. The three girls were living in a house instead of an apartment on behalf of Jema's parents. As a high school graduation gift, they bought her a house in the city she wanted to go to school in. She was born into a lineage of old money so it wasn't a surprise to her — Victoria either because her family was wealthy as well. But instead of old money, they had new money.