Chapter 27

Alessandro

Arianna had always been my girl.

She had always been attached to me — no matter the situation. I was the one that protected her and shielded her from the darkness. I was the one that comforted her in the cold nights and held her hand through the bright days.

But knowing that Eva has took my place in certain circumstances, made my heart burn in my chest.

It wasn't possessiveness or jealousy, nor was it anger towards Eva... it was pain, knowing that my daughter could feel that way about someone else.

Growing up without her mother caused her to rely on me. It was always me.

But now she had another person in her life. Someone that also comforted her and loved her. Someone that also protected her in the darkness.

And it hurt to know that I was no longer her one and only.

I couldn't help but frown as I watched Eva cradle Arianna. Though I felt pain rush through my chest — I couldn't deny the fact that Eva looked perfect when she was holding Arianna. It looked as though nothing could get to either of them. And I couldn't blame Arianna for looking up to Eva in her darkest moments. After all, I had done the exact same.

A rush of warmth on my arm snapped me from my thoughts and caused my heart to spin towards my right.

Rosie was looking at me with a sympathetic look on her face. "At least she's got someone." Her voice was warm but I still felt cold. I understood what she meant and I would never be selfish enough to stop those that want to care for Arianna, but I couldn't control my emotions.

"We should leave them." I mumbled quietly, turning around and walking out of the room to prevent any more pain.

I couldn't hear footsteps behind me but I didn't care. I just wanted to clear my head. I didn't even understand why I was so affected. I never thought I would dislike the idea of someone else caring for my daughter... but I did.

Leon was in my office. I caught the sight of him as I walked by. He was sipping a beverage that I presumed was alcoholic while resting on the edge of my desk.

"What are you doing in here?" I threw at him. He met my eyes and sipped his drink once again, shrugging his broad shoulders.

"I've been waiting for you," he answered calmly. "Is Arianna okay?"

I ran my fingers through my hair and nodded my head. It was clear that I was affected and I hated the feeling. I looked weak and I was never weak.

"And you?" Leon pressured with a raised eyebrow. I didn't meet his eyes but I could pick up his facial expression from the corner of my eye.

"I'm fine." I muttered under my breath, walking towards my desk and grabbing the whiskey.

I poured it into one of the empty glasses and threw the beverage down. Leon watched me but didn't say a word until I set the glass back down and winced.

"What is it?" He questioned with both eyebrows furrowed.

"It's Eva." I said without an emotion in my tone.

"I could have guessed," He rolled his eyes, hopping off the desk and walking over so that he was facing me. "What's happened now?"

"Arianna didn't want me. She wanted Eva. Since when did she not want me?" I said with an annoyed voice.

Leon chuckled and I saw the cheeky glint in his eyes. If he was mocking me — I wouldn't hesitate to punch him flat in the face.

"Something funny?" I raised my brow dangerously.