× Drake & Josh/iCarly ×

The truth behind Crazy Steve.

This is building off of another theory I once saw.

The theory said that Crazy Steve, after the events of Drake and Josh, kidnapped Megan, took her to Seattle, made her change her name to Carly, made her call him Spencer, and made her pretend he's her brother, leading into the events of iCarly.

Thinking about these theories, I saw a few flaws in it based on evidence from the show, but in filling these in I discovered darker truths behind him.

The main one is that Spencer is noticeably more sane than Crazy Steve and even has sentimental moments that humanize him.

To reconcile this contradiction, I propose that his new life with Megan/Carly helped his craziness and made him more sane.

The reason he was crazy in the first place was from familial neglect, and by adopting Megan as his family, he filled a void in his life.

But then there's another thing: Spencer's flashbacks to the 8th grade. Namely, the one in which he pranked everyone in his school by releasing onion powder, which injured everyone's eyes and made them have to go to the hospital.

We see the victims later in the episode, who confirm the event happening.

So, I think that Crazy Steve was actually Spencer Shay the entire time, but went under the name of "Steve" to hide his identity when his emotional instability caused him to run away to Los Angeles, only to return years later with his captive.

And why did he go for such a bold prank as releasing onion powder from the rafters of the school?

He claimed he didn't know that onion powder stung, but that prank would've taken a lot of premeditation and setup.

Clearly, he was desperate for attention.

I think he did it because he didn't receive enough attention from his family and peers, and thus did this to get it.

When he saw the harmful effects of what he did, he ran away from home out of shame.

He eventually made his way up to Seattle, but was so hardened by making the trip alone while so young that he became crazy.

During the storm episode, when Steve stayed in Drake and Josh's house to avoid the storm, he saw the family relations of the Nichols-Parker family and wanted that for himself, so he began plotting to steal the most vulnerable-looking one of them: the baby sister.

The trauma of getting kidnapped changed Megan's personality from the conniving, arrogant girl we knew as Megan into the more shy teacher's pet we know as Carly.