Chapter 11 - Part 1

"Yo, Cassie, can you still hear me fine?"

"Oh my God, Eric, for the last time, yes, I can, and for the last time, I look suspicious as all hell talking to myself back here. These earpieces were a bad idea."

"Like hell they were. These earpieces are the tits. Clearly one of the best ideas I've had in a while."

"That's not exactly a high standard, partner."

"Fine, then what ideas would you like to contribute?"

There was silence over the radio.

"Ah, see?" Eric continued. "You got nothing."

"I just don't see how we're going to lure the coyote – or the skin-walker, whatever – like this. This earpiece isn't exactly subtle, and neither is me talking to myself like some sort of nutcase."

"So then pull your phone out and hold it over your ear – kill two birds with one stone. Jesus, do you need me to wipe your ass as well?"

Eric could see Cassie hold up a middle finger in the direction of his nest. "Real mature," he mocked.

"How are you even going to get the coyote with that piddly rifle of yours?" Cassie said, pulling out her phone and pretending to talk into it. "Isn't it air-powered? There's no way you've got the range to get to all the way here."

Eric had a good laugh at Cassie jumping ten feet into the air as the tranquilizer dart from his rifle landed right between her feet.

"All right, you've made your point! Now can you try not shooting me, please?" she screeched into her microphone.

"This rifle," Eric began lecturing, "has been modified to the point where it's barely recognizable, and all by yours truly, I might add. This might actually be the most powerful tranquilizer gun on the planet."

"Wow, impressive," Cassie droned. "Is that going to be your new pickup line in bars, or are you still sticking with the one where you're a master at kegels?"

"You promised you were never going to bring that up again!" Eric whined into his mic.

"And whyever not? What's not sexy about being able to hold your piss in longer than the average person?"

"I thought it meant... something else."

"Of course you did, sweetie. Just like when we are at that bar in Dallas, and you –"

"Cassie, I'm interrupting you to let you know that I've already reloaded the rifle and there's a dart with your name on it if you keep on dredging up my shameful past."

No response came from the other end.

"Are you giving me the silent treatment or are you finally out of range?" Eric said.

"Oh look, there's a cute coyote here," came Cassie's sweet tones.

Eric zeroed in on her with his telescopic sight. She was pretending to talk on her phone again. He aimed toward the direction Cassie was facing and saw the coyote – the skin-walker.

"Yeah, I think I've got a lead. I'm going to check out the building tonight," Cassie said a little quieter, still pretending to be having a phone conversation.

It seemed to be working. The coyote got a little closer to her.

"Cassie, can you try to lead him out into the alley? I don't have a clear shot from here, and I don't want to scare him off if I miss."

"Yes, of course. I think this is it. Yep, this is definitely the source of all monster attacks here," Cassie said even quieter and while walking out into the alley.

Eric watched the coyote look around pensively before following her.

Dumb piece of shit, Eric thought. This was going to be easier than he could possibly have imagined. It almost seemed too easy, but he didn't want to start having doubts now. That would be hazardous to his marksmanship.

"Shall I give you the address?" Cassie was almost whispering now.

The coyote was closing in.

"All right, you're blocking my shot now," Eric said, "but the coyote is right where I need him, so just step over to the side and I'll take my shot."

Cassie walked over to the side of the alley, exposing the coyote.

Eric's finger was trembling. He only had one shot. If he failed now, the skin-walker would certainly steer clear of them or take the form of a fly or something. Can skin-walkers even do that? Focus, Eric. Calculating the trajectory of the dart and adjusting his aim accordingly, he pulled the trigger. Time seemed to slow down. More than that, it seemed to freeze. His heart stopped for the time it took for the dart to make its way from his barrel and into the coyote's rump.

With a whimper that even Eric could hear, the coyote began to run away, but his energy didn't last long. Cassie was on top of him before he could run off into the wild woods, and she only needed to hold him down for a short while before he could no longer resist. By the time Eric had gotten down to the alley, the coyote was out like a light.