Chapter Twenty-Two: Backstory

Chapter Twenty-Two:

     I gasped as pain exploded across my shoulder and neck where his claws dug in. Percyus did what he could to get me out of the way, but as I fell, it only ripped my flesh apart. I could hear my screams only faintly, the blood rushing in my ears overpowering. I felt like I was in a bubble, my head pounding with fear.

     The second I crashed to the ground Lorenzo's hands were on me, dragging my body out of the way right as Percyus slammed his father to the ground where I had been laying. Through a haze I watched the fight unfold, his fathers movements slow as the drug kicked in.

     Percyus's neck was slick with red blood that came down from the back of his head. That didn't seem to bother him as he threw a punch to his fathers face. However his fist was caught in the nick of time and threw to the side. I screamed for them to stop, but when my screams go nowhere, I turned to Lorenzo, fury gripping me.

     "Why aren't you helping him?!" I screamed, hitting his chest with my good hand. "Stop this!"

     Lorenzo looked at me, his eyes flooded with tears, "I'm under alpha command. I can't do shit, he's such an idiot."

     I was confused, "What? Why can't you help?!" I shrieked.

     He grabbed my fist that was hitting him, his tears finally falling, "He commanded us through mind link to not intervene! I can't help him under command!"

     My mouth opened in shock. Why would he do that? Why wouldn't he want help? I looked to the other men who were fighting the same pained look in their eyes, knowing they physically couldn't help him in any way. Their bodies would kill itself before they could act against an alpha command.

     I whipped back around to the fight to see the man slam Percyus's head into the floor, stunning him. I screamed and turned back to Lorenzo, "Why aren't the tranquilizers working?!"

     Lorenzo shook his head, "He's too big. It would take five to take him down. Two just slows his movements but he's still twice as strong as Percyus... Fuck." He cried, balling his fist and slamming it against his thigh.

     I looked up again, seeing Percyus roll and land a punch on his father, whipping his head to the side. A shriek filled the air and I looked up to see his wife standing there, horrified. "Haes!" She screamed, concerned over her husband who was hardly affected by the punch.

     Haes looked at her with fury, giving Percyus time to slide out from underneath him and tackle him. He slammed him to the floor and straddled his waist, throwing hit after hit. I felt fear consume my stomach and I made a dash towards him.

     I felt a hand grab my uninjured hand and pull me back. "No, Calla!" Lorenzo cried.

     I was hysterical. Did he want to let him die? I jerked my arm, but he didn't let go. "Please, Calla! I don't want you to get hurt."

     I stepped close to him, my eyes turning black as Walla took over. She yanked him down by his arm, she growled loudly. "Well I don't want to see my mate die! Now let me go!"

     He seemed surprised by my outburst and his grip loosened enough to slip out of. He realized his mistake the second he made it, he went to grab me again but I ran out of reach. He tried to follow, but an invisible barrier separated his body from getting any closer to the fight due to command. He swore loudly, "Fuck! Please, Calla!"

     I tuned him out and turned to the fight, ready to see Haes blood spill. I had never wanted violence, making my thoughts about how I felt right now foreign in my brain. However I couldn't help it. I wanted him to die. No one hurts Percyus.