CHAPTER TWO

The wildlife of the region was strange, fur seals sprawled their gelatinous bodies across the peppered sand like barking driftwood. Colorful iguanas scurried across molten rock. And the wildlife continued to change with the elevation. The sharp pang of radio interference rang in her ear as she climbed higher.

"Pigtails do you read me?"
The grizzled voice of Captain Davis blared in her ear.

"Copy. What did I tell you about calling me that! My code name's Tyrannosaurus," She answered with annoyance.

"Whatever you say Pigtails..." Agent Rex just couldn't shake that nickname from the academy and it always made her blood boil.

"...our satellite intel would lead us to believe that The Luth's laboratory in located within Buccaneer Cove. My thermal readings detect there is some strange activity going on in that area. So, change course but look alive Pigt—I mean Tyrannosaurus."

"Got it Captain."

Agent Rex stopped her assent up the volcano, but she had already erupted with anger at the mention of that name. Her face was flush, but she knew the day would come when she would never have to hear that name again.

The cove was hidden but the squawk of seagulls echoed like thunder off the volcanic rock. She donned her wet-suit and thermal goggles and began to carefully wade into the waters of the surrounding rock front. Her thermal readings detected that one of the rock faces seemed to be hollow. Her hands read the dark rocks surface as she searched for any sort of latch and with a slight click the rock face slid aside with a rush of water as she entered. Within three steps she felt a soft brush against her right leg and the water seemed to get cooler. Then the same around her right leg. The coolness quickly shifted to an immense heat. Agent Rex grimaced as the burning sensation took over. She looked down to see that the door was being protected by a school of what appeared to be Lion's Mane Jellyfish. The swirl of jellyfish began to swallow her as she slowly sank into pit of pain and confusion. The cove went even darker as her body slipped into shock.