THIRTY - EIGHT

[ GOODBYE, LEIA ]

THE LEADERSHIP OF THE REBELLION SAT IN COMPLETE SILENCE

a haunting echo lingered, filling the void with uncomfortable static and impenetrable fear. halo's heart thundered loudly in her ears, numbing her ability to comprehend the weight of her surroundings. although she was the only one who could hear it, she knew it was loud enough to deafen the entire room.

she hadn't felt like this since the day luke told her of his plan to die. the grief that had twisted itself deep into her heart opened up like a freshly dug grave, sucking in whatever was left, leaving behind nothing at all. mourning was something she had grown so accustomed to by now. lor san tekka, han, luke, and now...

her light irises turned to the central figure in the room. warm, chocolate eyes met her gaze.

although it had been only hours since ben had warned halo of his failure to conceal his true identity from hux, it felt like millions of lifetimes had passed. there was no solution. the distress signal they had sent to lando had rebounded, their fuel cells were not yet repaired, and food supplies were running short. eventually, someone would have to leave the planet to get more resources, and when that happened, it would be like beaming a fiery beacon across the galaxy with the symbol of the rebellion emblazoned on the front.

there was nothing they could do.

nothing.

halo felt tears welling in the corners of her eyes. she longed to reach out for ben through their force connection, but it was completely closed off. she felt nothing. only the hum of life around her, the planet, the distant galaxy. but nothing from him. nothing at all.

her fingers tangled together anxiously, twisting the hilt of her saber between them, as if that would somehow show her the way. but all she was met with was silence. dead and resounding.

"what are we going to do?"

finn was the first to break the silence, his dark eyes looking imploringly at everyone around him. a girl, who halo found out was named rose tico,  was holding his arms tightly, as if trying to comfort and restrain him at the same time. it brought a sardonic smile to halo's face. it reminded her of herself. of ben.

halo turned back to face leia, who was still looking at her. there was something in her eyes that halo could not quite decipher, some kind of peace and acceptance she had seen somewhere before. her stomach clenched, and her fingers wrung white against each other. that was the look luke had given her before he died. when she was pleading him to stay.