Prologue

Hey guys, if any of you wanted to follow me on Instagram, my username is luna_queen369

***Emily above***

Emily's p.o.v

I stared up at the scene in front of me in shock. It felt like I could do nothing but watch it happen. Like I couldn't control anything that happened. It felt like I can't control anything that is going to happen. And I was right. Standing right in front of me was my twin brother Alex, who had just poured his orange juice on my head. Right after his toy for the week took my spaghetti Bolognese and dumped it on me, ruining my favourite shirt. And the saddest thing of all is that it's not the first time this has happened.

I was snapped out of my thoughts by the sound of my brothers' harsh voice, cutting through the silence like a hot knife cuts through butter.

"I can't believe you're my sister, you're an ugly fat nerd who no one wants, why don't you just leave, and never come back? " Tears pricked at my eyes threatening to fall. No matter how many times this happens, it still stings like the first.

"I mean, no one would miss you anyway. Mum and dad wouldn't even notice your gone." He was right, Alex was always the favourite child. Mum and dad never cared about me. If I disappear, they either wouldn't notice or would be happy about it.

By now the whole cafeteria had eyes on us. Waiting eagerly for some new material to gossip about. My brother turned to face the cafeteria and yelled as loud as he could... "Who says Emily is not welcome here and should leave for good." My brother yelled. As expected, the whole cafeteria erupted into cheers.

My brother turned back to with a sly smirk on his face, and his next words had me running out the school with tears streaming down my face. "No one wants you, so why are you still here?"

I ran all the way to my house. Not like I had another choice. My parents have never shown me love, even though I always bring home good grades. My mum only cares about social status and what other people think about us and so Alex, being popular, is his obvious favourite. Which is why on our 16th birthday, he got a car and I didn't. My dad isn't as bad as my mum, but he doesn't exactly treat me like a daughter either. He juts ignores me to please my mum. That is all he cares about, pleasing my mum and because Alex was my mum's favourite, he became my dad's favourite as well.

I entered the house, knowing no one was home. My parents were full time businessmen, which is why we were so rich. The only catch is that they were almost never home and spent a lot of time going on business trips. Right now, they are in Ohio.

I took a quick shower, collected my passport and some cash and grabbed a pen and paper to write a note. I wasn't going to waste my time writing a long sappy note explaining why I left. I mean, come on, it's pretty obvious. Besides, they won't even care that I am gone but just to make sure they don't bring the police into this and make a big scene for the attention and sympathy, I have decided to just write a short note so they know that I ran away and wasn't kidnapped.

I know you will find this first because our parents don't get back from Ohio for another 3 weeks. You don't need to call the cops, I haven't been kidnapped, I have just done what everyone told me to do. I left. I guess you got what you wanted, but that shouldn't be new to you considering you always get what you want. Always. With much hate, Emily.

I folded the note up and placed it on the corner of my neatly made bed before leaving, heading down the street and away from the cold house that I haven't called home in years.

I stopped walking when I came up to a familiar park, a fresh batch of tears rolled down my cheeks. This is the park me and my brother used to go to when we were younger, before high school when we were still each other's best friend. I know that I can no longer stay here, that I can't go back. I had to leave the country, so I called my aunt Lisa to see if I could stay with her. She knew about my situation and said that if I ever needed a place to stay, I was always welcome to live with her in Italy. This will be good for me. Besides, even though I have only been there a few times, I have always loved Italy more than New York.

"Hi Aunt Lisa" I greet her after taking in a shaky breath to clear my voice.
"Sweetie, what's wrong" Even though I kept my voice as steady as possible, so I don't worry her, she could still hear that something was wrong. That was one of many reasons why I loved my aunt, she pays attention to the details.
"Do you mind if I stay with you for a while, I ca..n't stay he...re anym..ore " Even though I tried to hold it back, a few sobs managed to escape my lips near the end of my sentence.

"Of course, I'm booking you a flight to Italy now, I'll send you the tickets and be here waiting for you when you arrive," she said, happy that I am finally taking up her offer.
"Thank you, auntie" I said, grateful that I at least have one person who cares about me in my life.
"I'll see you in a couple hours. I love you, bye." She said before hanging up and leaving me with the raging war inside my mind.

A few minutes Later, my phone dinged and when I looked at the screen, I see the flight ticket with the details attached. I caught a cab to the airport and went straight to the boarding section considering I didn't bring any luggage with me. And a few minutes after I boarded the plane, it took flight. And as I looked out the window, I smiled slightly, knowing that I was leaving my old, miserable life behind.
And I don't intend on coming back any time soon.

My name is Emily Spades, and this is the beginning of my new life. One that I have control over.

Hey guys, if any of you wanted to follow me on instagram, my username is luna_queen369