Chapter 35

We're back in the lounge. Keith is standing against the wall, I'm sitting on the floor, my legs dangling down the back of the seats. Everyone else is scattered around the curved seat.  

"I wish Shiro were here to tell us how to go on without him." Lance spoke up.

"Allura, when we came here, you told me I would fly the Green Lion right away, I thought there was no way. But then I found it, and flew it. And then Hunk flew the Yellow Lion, and he's not even a pilot. In fact, you told everyone who would pilot which lion." Pidge said. Hunk jumped up beside her.

"Yeah, how did you do that? Did we ever find out how you did that? Can you do that now?" Hunk asks with big eyes.

"Sadly, no. When you arrived at the castle, I immediately recognized the special qualities of each of you. But I don't know how to search the entire universe for a new paladin." Allura said. 

"Keith, you piloted the Black Lion when you had to save Shiro. Perhaps you're the one." Coran spoke up. Keith looks away.

"Keith would be the worst leader of Voltron." 

"Lance." I say warningly.

"Yeah, we all have our thing. Keith's the loner. I'm the brain. Hunk's the nice one. Allura's the decision maker. Korra's the pretty one. Coran's the old wise guy. And Lance's the goofball." I blushed at Pidge's words. 

"Mm-hmm. Yeah, exactly. Totally right-wait a minute. I'm not a goofball! I'm the cool ninja sharpshooter." Lance says while crossing his arms. Keith scoffs from behind me.

"Are you joking?"

"I'm being completely serious when I say, I do not want you to lead me any where." Lance says while standing. I go to scold him but Keith speaks up before I could.

"I don't want to be leader! That's just what Shiro wanted." He said. His eyes widened when he realized what he said, and looked away.

"What are you talking about?" Hunk asks as I get up and stand next to Keith, wrapping a comforting arm around him.

"Nothing." He says.

"Shiro wanted you to be his successor, didn't he?" Asked Pidge.

"Well, I never heard Shiro say that, and how convenient that you're bringing it up know, when Shiro is gone." Lance says. Keith walks out of my arms and glares at Lance.

"You want the job so badly, you can have it."

"Now, now, hang on. I've called the head from the very beginning." Hunk says.

"What about me? I picked up the radio waves that lead us the Voltron in the first place." Pidge says while standing up. 

"Don't look at me. I have no intention of being leader." I say and put my hands up.

"Hold your gazurgas, everyone! It's not out decision to make. We must allow the lion to decide." Coran says.

"Coran is right." Allura stands. "We must all present ourselves to the Black Lion to see who will bear this glorious burden."

"What? You, Princess?"

"My father created Voltron. How can I allow others to risk their lives in battle and not be prepared to do so myself? I must try."  

~~~

"So, who goes first?" Hunk asks when we reach the Black Lion's hanger.

"Should we draw straws?" Pidge suggested.

"I have it!" Coran said. "I'm thinking of a number between one and fifty." He snaps his fingers. "Allura, you go first, Pidge is second, then the others."