× Mickey Mouse ( pt. 2 ) ×

The Lost Episode: Mickey's Best Friend

Mickey's Best Friend is a controversial 10-minute cartoon that was shown in theatres on November 15, 1929.

It was later banned and isn't allowed to be shown again due to its history of kids requiring constant attention after viewing its content.

The cartoon was animated by Ub Iwerks, with music composed by Carl Stalling.

It isn't even available to anyone who wants to complete their collection of classic Mickey cartoons.

It was originally intended to be a Halloween-related short which revolved around Mickey and Eustace, an anthropomorphic dog character.

Walt at the time thought kids were getting dumbed down by other shorts and that they were mature enough to handle what he wanted to show them.

Plot: Mickey is driving to his workplace in his car.

Along the way, it breaks down due to an engine problem and he gets out to check it.

When Mickey finds out it's beyond repair, he goes into a depression until Eustace arrives and helps out by fixing the problem.

Mickey is relieved and introduces himself.

After getting Eustace's name, Mickey invites him to go with him somewhere.

Eustace asks Mickey if he was supposed to be somewhere, but Mickey lies to him and decides to skip work.

The two arrive in a cafe where the owner spots Mickey and gives him a stern look.

He walks up and rudely asks Mickey what he wants.

After ordering, the sheriff (Pete) enters and confronts Mickey, demanding that he finally pays off his late rent.

Mickey on the verge of a breakdown is pitied by Eustace who decides to pay off Mickey's entire debt.

The sheriff laughs and warns Eustace telling him that Mickey will only cause him trouble before leaving the scene.

Mickey, relieved that he's off the hook, hugs Eustace in joy.

Mickey leaves the cafe with Eustace and begins to introduce his new friend to the local residents through a bunch of different scenes.

They don't care and walk off.

The last resident they speak to begins to chuckle for a bit and warns Eustace that he should be careful around that mouse.

Eustace tries to get an explanation on why this person holds a grudge, but the resident is nowhere to be seen after his warning.

Eustace asks Mickey why he's smiling after the reception he got, and Mickey admits to Eustace that he hasn't had friends before and that Eustace is his first pal.

Eustace feels bad and seems to be hiding something with a guilty expression.

Mickey and Eustace in a bunch of quick scenes stop by a theater, play a game, and go atop a mountain viewing the scenery.