Chapter Thirteen (Edited)

Noah places me in the same seat where he told me about the worries of him finding a wife. Now we sit here with me having a black eye and bruised ribs.

Noah stands and turns to make his way to the door, "I'll be right back. I'm going to go down to the kitchen and grab some ice."

"No," I scream out, causing him to pause and me to cringe from the pain.

He turns back, and sees me sitting at the edge of my seat. "I dont need any help. I'm fine."

Noah walks up to me, his eyes holding confusion. "Sera, look at your eye. You are not fine. Just let me go down to the kitchen-"

"No," I interrupt once again. I stand up, so I can stare him right in the eye, although he is about a foot taller than me. "Noah, I don't need your help. I have took care of my father till his very last breath. I had to help my mother when my sister was took from us. I've dealt with hunger, disease, and loss. So, a couple bruises are nothing compared to what I have been through. And I had to get through all of that alone." I end trying to choke back the tears. I am tired of crying, and it is doing nothing to help, but I had to say that to him. Not just to show Noah that I'm strong, but show myself as well.

Noah walks back to me and gently grabs my hands and pulls me down to the chair, where he kneels in front of me. "Sera, I am sorry. I am so sorry that you had to go through all of that. No one should ever have to endure the pain that you have dealt with on the daily. I will admit, I will never be able to relate to anything that you have been through, but I want to be here for you now to help with the pain that all of that caused. I'm here for you, Sera. You can finally have someone to take care of you. If I can't be here for you, how am I ever going to be there for the kingdom?"

I fall silent. I have only ever had to stand alone, and now it seems that I could actually have someone who will stand by my side.

At this point, the tears are free falling out of my eyes. Noah reaches over and hugs me, causing me to have a moment of relaxation. His muscly arms wrapped lightly, yet securely, around me. Making me feel as though nothing can hurt me in this moment.

Noah pulls away to look me in the eyes once again. He just continues to look at me, not vocalizing whatever is going through his head right now. I look away, ashamed of my tears that are now beginning to slow. He reaches over and wipes his thumb across the bottom of my good eye. Catching the tears from falling.

I look up once again and meet Noahs eyes. His beautiful green eyes meeting my brown. So many emotions seem to be running through those eyes, yet I'm not able to decipher any of them. Though, the longer I stare at them, the more of a glimmer I see. Then, I see his eyes fall to my lips. Which causes me to look as his as well.

I automatically pull back, scared of whatever could happen next. Noah pulls back as well, coughing awkwardly while looking around the room. Not meeting my eyes again.

"Here, let me go get you some fresh clothes," he says while standing up and leaving me alone on the chair with a blush that takes over my entire face.

I look down and see the enormous tea stain that I received earlier all over the front of me. Not to mention the normal dirt of being worn in a maids position. I realize how bad I actually look and become embarrassed that Noah had to see me like this.

Noah comes back out and hands me neatly folded clothes. "Noah, you really don't have to do this," I say while touching the soft clothing.

A smile automatically lights up his face, "Who would I be if I made you sit there in dirty, and probably uncomfortable, clothes?"

I look back down at the clothes he handed me and run my fingers over the stitching. A smile, involuntarily, sprouting on my face while doing so.

"Come on. My bathroom is right there," he says while grabbing my hand and helping me stand.

I can't seem to argue with him, so I make my way to his bathroom to take off my uniform and put on the clothes that he gave me. Allowing the comfortable, warm clothes to envelop me.

I look at myself in the mirror and see myself engulfed in gray sweatpants and and a t-shirt with a school logo on the front. Though everything was quite large, warmth spread all around me in the most protective way.

I open the door and walk back into Noahs bedroom. Noah looks up, once he hears my footsteps enter the room. Once he sees me a smile lights up his face and a laugh escapes out, despite his efforts of trying to hold it back.

"What are you laughing at?" I ask, half embarrassed.

He walks up to me, holds my hand, and gives me twirl. As if I was in a delicate ballgown. "You look stunning," he says while stopping my twirling. "Although, one thing is missing."

He reaches behind me and unclasps the pin that is holding my hair in its tight bun. Allowing my hair to cascade down in its natural state. He runs his fingers down to the bottom of my hair before backing away. Much like he had to physically pull himself away in order to stop.

"Now you're ready," he says in a whisper.

"Ready? For what?" I ask, unable to hold back my giggle.

"The ball, m'lady," He says while folding himself down into a bow.

I start to laugh uncontrollably but stopping myself short as I feel the stab of pain in my ribs, "The ball? The only thing I'm ready for is bed." I pause, the realization hitting me. "I have to go to bed. But I can't go looking like this. I'll be caught! I have to change back."

I turn around to go back to the bathroom, but before I make it Noah steps in front of me. Stopping me in my tracks.

"No, it's okay. I'll help you sneak down there. Like ninjas," he says with a mini smirk.

"Ninjas? There is no such thing as ninjas," I laugh at him.

"Sure there is."

"Noah, I have a black eye, " I deadpan.

"All the more reason. You deserve to have some fun."

***

I lay myself down in my bed, thinking of what just happened. Us being together. Acting like the kids we both never really got to be. Actually enjoying being in the moment and not worrying about what till come next. No matter what happened earlier.

I close my eyes and fall asleep to the smell of Noah, and a smile on my face.