23 - she's not prettier than you

"Wuh-huh-hooo! You look like shit."

"Wow thanks. That makes me feel so much better."

"I mean like...damn. Who'd you piss off?"

"I didn't piss off anyone. They started it."

"What happened anyways?"

"You know that party I mentioned to you last week on Friday?"

"Yeah."

"Well I went to it."

"Yeah."

"I didn't want to but Bryce made me."

"Yeah."

"Can you stop doing that?"

"Sorry. Continue."

"Anyways, apparently our rival school was invited too—"

"Oh shiiiiiiit."

"—and of course Jackson was there. As soon as I got through the door, he was already up in my face with that dumbass smirk of his. He said he didn't want any beef and I was like ok alright, I'll just...not make a big scene in front of every body. When I thought we were done talking, he had the nerve to ask how I was coping since...and by the look on his face I knew that he knew what he was doing. So I punched him. And there was a fight."

"Danggg. So I'm guessing you lost?"

"...you have little faith in me, Audrey."

"He lost?"

"Neither of us really lost. Some of our football team pulled us apart and I just left. And of course, word got out to coach about what happened."

"Did you get kicked off again?"

"No, we just talked. He's always kinda been like a father figure to me. Dad wasn't around a lot so he basically stepped up and took on that roll."

"That's awesome. Do you know if Jackson got in any trouble?"

"No but someone sent me a picture of his face and he's more fucked up than I am."

"Are you still gonna be able to play this next game?"

"Umm, I don't know. Depends how I'm feeling. Mom probably won't let me."

"I would suggest against it too but you don't listen to me anyways."

"If I sit on the side lines, I might be able to find you in the stands."

"So is it official?"

"Is what official?"

"That you know who I am and what I look like? I mean, that's what you were hinting at during I Spy yesterday, right?"

"Maybe. Maybe not."

"Just tell me. Do you know who I am?"

"Yeah..."

"How long?"

"I had a feeling that I recognized your voice since the beginning but I just couldn't put my finger on it. When you butt dialed me and said something about he-who-shall-not-be-named asking you out by your locker, I knew it was you cause I was just a few lockers down."

"Oh...so the truth is out then..."

"She's not prettier than you."

"W-What?"

"A little while ago you said that the head cheerleader he broke up with you for was prettier. She's not. Courtney is as fake as they get. With that much make up, I can only imagine what she looks like underneath. You're naturally pretty. I wish you could see that."

"I...I don't—"

"Just say thank you."

"..."

"Thank you, Auggie."

"No problem, Auddie."

*

Thank you WorldofSama for all the love and support on this book. This chapter is dedicated to you.
❤️