Chapter 13

Kalian jogged down the hallway, a playful grin on his face. The corridors  were empty but there was the buzzing of the people talking coming from the grand hall a few hundred meters away. He chuckled to himself.

He had managed to escape court that morning, which he always found a bore. He instead spent two glorious hours with Lady Madeline in his private chambers.

He slipped into a small room, carefully closing the door behind him. He placed his ear against it, struggling to not laugh as he heard Lady Madelines voice echo through the corridors.

"I will find you my Love!" She giggled, and he waited till he heard her footsteps had passed before he could relax.

He plopped himself down on a large rocking chair in the corner of the room, which he discovered was a small library.

Just as he was about to get up and see what books there were to pass the time, he noticed a figure on the chaise lounge next to him stir.

He realised his wife straight away and his face went red as he realised the predicament he had just put himself in, and he held his breath for a moment before she settled and he sighed in relief.

She lay on her back, one arm laying across her waist, the other resting beside her head. Her hair was in a dissaray, spread out along the cushions, and her lips were parted slightly as she breathed deeply in her sleep.

She shifted her head causing a lock of hair to fall across her cheek, and she subconsciously furrowed her brows in doscomfort.
Kalian couldn't help himself, and he felt himsle get up and move towards the sleeping woman and crouch down.

He pulled the strand of her cheek, tucking it behind her ear and holding his breath to not wake her up.
He had never been this close to her before, and he noticed things he had never noticed before. Things such as the faint freckles that were spread across her pale face, a small mole on her upper left cheek, her short black lashes actually turned blonde at the ends and were actually longer than they looked.

Then she stirred, her lids fluttering open, and she pushed herself up against the back of the lounge as if to get away from him.

"What are you doing my Lord!" She exclaimed, her mouth twisting into a frown, her face turning a bright shade of pink.

"I was looking at you." He stated, tilting his head to the side and placing his hand on the lounge as if daring her to tell him off.

"You are too close." She tried to move to a less compromising position, but in the process accidently knocked his arm causing him to place either one of his arms on each side.

Her pink face went redder, and her hands clasped together on her chest.

"Can you please move." She whispered.

Kalian smiled teasingly.
"Why should I? You are my wife."
He tucked her hair behind her ear.

She gritted her teeth, grabbing his wrist and pushing him away. He stumbled back, reaching his hand out to stop himself from falling, and he steadied himself on the bookcase.

"Im not sure of that anymore." Azora stood up and was about to storm out when the creaked open.

"I FOUND YOU!!!" Madelines voice trailed off and she stood frozen in the doorway, staring at the scene before her.

She glared at Azora who glared back, and then moved towards the door pushing Madeline out of her way.

Madeline clutched her small bump, and raised her eyebrows in shock.
"Excuse me!"

Azoras brows were furrowed, and her fists clenched.
"You are excused, Lady Madeline.
~~~
Azora walked down corridors and up stairways composing herself until she reached her doorway. She ran to her bed, flinging herself upon it and sobbing.
She sobbed until her throat was coarse and her face red and raw before she was interupted by a knock on the door.

A maid came in curtseying before announcing.
"Lady Adelaide has come to see you my Queen."

Azora wiped her eyes and flattened her hair, trying to make it seem like less of a birds nest.

Adelaide came in and noticed straightaway the emotional state the Queen was in, rushing to her bedside and taking Azoras hand in her own.
"My Lady, whatever is the matter?"

Azora shook her head and sniffled.
"Why are you here."

Adelaide released her hand and took out a crumpled piece of paper from the pocket hidden among the folds of her dress.

"Before I say what I have to say, I must ask you to forgive me for the heinous crime I have comitted, and I know it is a crime punishable by fine, but I could not help myself!"
She unfolded the piece of paper.

"I may or may not have snooped in Lady Madeline personal letters?"

Azora widened her eyes but urged Adelaide to go on out of curiosity.

Adelaide cleared her throat.
"My Dearest Daughter,
I shall not go through all the reqired pleasantries one must go through when writing a letter to another, because I must get straight to the point.
"I am angry with you, and that is to put it mildly. You have fallen pregnant out of wedlock, and that is a shameful and embarassing thing for our family. The long line of suitors you had has dissapeared, and the only man willing to marry you is an amiable hard working Earl.
"I expect you home within a month, and if you have not left the country, I shall be forced to drag you home myself.
Your loving Father,
Ferdinand Romchster, Count of Trampa de Moscus."

"When was this delivered?" Azora cried urgently, looking for a date on the letter.

"Yesterday morning at 11 am." Adelaide pronounced proudly.

Azora felt as if a huge weight had been lifted drom her shoulders.

Madeline would be leaving.