Chapter Seventeen

Levi
As Irisa calls her father to let him kow she's alright, we drive back over to the Salvatore's house and Irisa gets off her phone. Stefan opens the door and sees Irisa, shakes his head, and opens the door further to let us inside, then stalks off."What's that about?" Irisa asks me, and I shrug, taking her hand, and we walk inside.
"I'll tell you what that was about." Damon says, walking over to us. Irisa gives him a look, and Damon smirks. "You blabbed to Elena that Stefan is interested in...You."
I sigh. "Elena was on her case Damon. Irisa went on the offense. Can you blame her?"
"You couldn't have kept me out of it?" Stefan demands and uses vamp speed to rush over to Irisa. "I helped you, and you repay me by doing this? By making her question if I'm in love with you?"
"Stefan-" I start, but Irisa cuts me off.
"Of please, Stefan. Like you can't take care of yourself. You've got yourself a Katherine look alike, and I hate to tell you this, if she ever becomes a vampire, Elena is going to be one hundred percent identical to that bitch. Her attitude is already headed in that direction and you know it. She killed me, and here you are, mad at me? Like I haven't been through enough Stefan. I woke up in the middle of the woods after sleep walking to feed on someone, and I don't even remember attacking the guy. All I know is I needed blood, and I had to have it, but do any of the three of you really seem concerned? Oh, I'm doing so well. News flash, I'm not Rhiannon anymore. I might have her memories of the transition, but this is all new to me. Me. I might have been through this all before, but it feels 100 percent new to me. You, Stefan, should expect this sort of thing out of me after your girlfriend kills me." Irisa says, and strides over to him. "You didn't hear what she was saying to me. I'm not a slut, Stefan. I'm not some no good whore, and I'll not have your precious Elena insinuating that I am. Especially not in front of Bonnie, not while Jeremy is in the same house, and especially not while Jenna is downstairs and could easily call my father. Do we have an understanding, Stefan?" She raises her voice, and Stefan's body relaxes.
"I'm sorry." Suddenly, Stefan is hugging Irisa, and Damon exchanges a look with me.
"Um, how can we be sure you're not in love with our girl, little brother? You sure look like you might be to me." Damon says, an eyebrow raised.
"Shut up, Damon." Stefan mutters, and Irisa sighs.
When the two pull away, both seem visibly more calm, and Stefan looks into Irisa's eyes. "I'll talk to Elena. She needs to know not to be talking about Damon and Levi in that way around Jenna."
"How did you know that's what I meant?" Irisa murmurs.
"Irisa, I'm not an idiot." Stefan says. "I could not only smell the blood all over you when you were here this morning-" He looks over at me. "I could smell Levi all over you. I know what happened, and while I don't necessarily approve, I understand."
Irisa's lips twitch, and I watch as her eyes narrowly glance at Damon, who is looking at me and doesn't notice her looking at him. Then I see her eyes shift, and she runs out of the room, towards the bathroom, so quickly she's nothing but a blur.
"Ris!" I shout after her, and both of the brothers follow me to the bathroom to see Irisa vomitting up the blood she'd drank from the man in the woods this morning. I pull her hair away from her mouth gently, earning a low growl from Irisa, and I shush her, pulling her close to me. "It's alright. Take a breath. Maybe we should have been a bit more worried about you than we have been." I try to stroke her back and Irisa shoves me away from her.
"Leave me alone. Just stop touching me!" She shouts, her green eyes wide and furious.
I look back at Damon and Stefan, shocked, and Damon shakes his head, not sure why she's acting this way. Damon walks over to her, where she's standing a few inches from me, and Irisa flinches, startling Damon. He puts up his hands, telling her he's not going to hurt her.
"Come on." He says, and wraps his arms around her. "I know what will help." He tells her, and Irisa gives him a confused look, but curls closer in his arms.
"What?" Irisa murmurs, and Damon smiles down at her.
"Come with me." He says, letting go of her only to take her hand and lead her out of the bathroom. He gives Stefan and I a look, meaning to follow, and he leads her to the basement, opens the freezer, and pulls out some blood bags. "You're not ready to hunt. You're too human, Irisa." Damon says, crossing his arms, blood bags in hand. "That mixed with anxiety is no good. You're just going to keep getting sick. So, you're going to sit here and drink all of this blood until you're anxiety and humanity disappears, and then Levi is going to use his sire bond to force you to turn it back on."
"Damon, no." Stefan says, and I grab Damon by the throat, shoving him against the wall.
"Have you lost your mind, Damon? She's not going to flip her switch!" I shout at him.
"Come on, let her live a little." Damon chokes out, and his lips twitch into his signature smirk. I hear a ripping sound, and I turn to see Irisa guzzling from one of the blood bags, making me sigh. "See, she knows what's good fo her."
"You're a prick, Damon." I shove him against the wall harder, then let him fall to the floor, and walk over to Irisa. "You only need a few, Ris." She narrows her eyes, and I sigh again. "Don't listen to Damon. Listen to me. Think about it. Who has always been here for you? Even before you knew what vampires were."
Irisa drops the empty bag into the trashcan and looks at the rest of them in the freezer, then looks back at me. "I'm starving." She whispers, and I nod.
"I know. But that just means you need actual food, Irisa. You don't just need blood. You need both right now. You've gotten used to the blood, now you need food."
Irisa suddenly looks right at the stairs. "Someone's here." She says, wiping off her mouth.
"No there's not, you're just overthinking everything." Damon rolls his eyes.
That's when we hear a knock, and Stefan narrows his eyes at his brother.
"Oh, she's overthinking everything, is she?" Stefan demands. "Maybe it's you whose overthinking everything. She's supposed to be at school. Maybe it's her father, maybe he's not as cool about her skipping as he seemed when she called him, Damon."
"Enough, both of you. Damon, go answer the damn door." I tell him, and Damon narrows his eyes at me. "Go, now." Damon walks up the stairs, looking back at Irisa, who narrows her eyes at him as well.
I close the freezer, and look over at Stefan. "Can you take her back to my place and keep her there? There's plenty of food. Get her to eat, there's blood for her and everything. Just keep her there. Do not let Irisa leave."
"Is that such a good idea?" Stefan asks quietly, and we both look at Irisa. She looks between us, and sighs.
"I'll behave." She mumbles. "I won't try to leave."
"Thank you. After what happened to Vicki, I think that you would know better, Irisa." I say, and pull her into my arms.
I hear Liz Forbes' voice overhead, and Irisa stiffens, as if she too recognizes it.
"Come on." Stefan says, gently touching her arm. "We don't want her to see you."
"Wait." Irisa mumbles, wrapping an arm around my neck. "I love you." She says, looking into my eyes.
"I love you too. Be careful. Both of you." I look over at Stefan momentarily, and then look back down at Irisa, lightly pressing a kiss to her lips. She returns it, then pulls away from me, allowing Stefan to lead her away, and up the stairs, then out the back door. I walk upstairs.
"Hello, Sheriff." I say.
"Mr. Grèves." Liz Forbes says. "Mayor Lockwood says you've been keeping an eye on his daughter for him." She crosses her arms, eyeing me closely. Damon smirks, looking over at me. "I hope this isn't going to be a problem."
"No, Ma'am. Irisa and I are good friends. We've known each other a long time." I tell her.
"Mr. de Grèves, your family has been here for a long time. Going back a century and a half. Would it be possible for you and Mr. Salvatore to work on something for the Council for me? This will need to stay between us, and the rest of the Council, including Mayor Lockwood. He seems to trust you, which is incredible because he rarely trusts anyone, especially not with his daughter. This town has a big problem. And last night there was a murder..."
"I know about your towns' problem, Sheriff. I've known for a while. Those girls that were murdered, former classmates of Irisa... a sadistic vampire killed them." My eyes are on Damon. "And it's still at large."
"So you have experience with these beasts?' Liz asks.
"Yes, Ma'am. I do."
"So you'll help?" Liz looks between the two of us.
"Yes, we'll help." I tell her.
"Thank you, gentlemen. I'll be on my way now."
----
Stefan
If I didn't know better, I'd say that Irisa isn't a normal vampire. Her eyes shift around, almost as if she expects danger from every possible direction as I drive her to Levi's, and when I lightly touch her arm, I feel an intense burning before she jolts away from me, and quickly apologizes.
"What was that?" I ask her, shaking my hand.
"Nothing." She says quickly, her eyes down on her hands, clasped in her lap.
"Irisa, I know you have memories of us as well from when you were Rhiannon-"
"Don't!" She shrieks, and I jump, startled. I stop in front of Levi's house, and she jumps out, and rushes inside. I follow, knowing I just made things incredibly worse.
"Irisa, please. If you'll just listen, and let me explain-"
Irisa crosses her arms, turning to face me. "Explain that you were compelled to love Katherine, and never actually loved her? That Rhiannon was trying to break through that compulsion the entire time?" She demands. "Stefan, I know. I know everything. I have every single memory Rhiannon has, because I am Rhiannon. I told Levi and I told Damon. The truth is, I was always Rhiannon, and I was also Lucia. My soul gets reincarnated when I die, unless... something screws that up, like I get killed or I die with vampire blood in my system."
I stare at her in shock, and Irisa drops her arms from her chest, walking over to me. "I know that you tried to stop your father from killing me, you didn't just love Rhiannon because she was trying to stop Katherine from compelling you, Stefan. There were real feelings there. There are still real feelings that exist, but because you feel extremely guilty about my death caused by your little doppelganger... you just can't help but be extremely depressed and embarrassed and shy around me." Irisa says, her eyes wide and innocent as they stare at me. "I knew there was something there, that very first day I seen you at school." She smiles, but it's a bitter one. "Pretending you only had eyes for Elena... That's your first mistake. Did you know she made a comment to me, in her room, with Bonnie present, that 'I'm not going to kill you, you know'." She says the words in Elena's voice perfectly, shocking me even more. I swallow hard, and Irisa nods. "See... I can see it in your eyes, Stefan. You knew what your girlfriend was capable of. Levi warned you before we knew I died, didn't he?"
"Irisa, Elena and I...we're not actually dating anymore. Not after what she did. I made it very clear to her she can't do stuff like that." I say quietly. "As for pretending... I wasn't. I'm not... At least, I'm not trying to."
"I could hear Levi ask you if you like me, Stefan. You need to be honest with yourself." Irisa says, and walks to the kitchen. I let out a shuddering breath once her eyes are no longer on me. Something in her stare makes it feel like it's crushing you to pieces if you're not honest with her.
"Irisa, You remember everything from when you were Rhiannon?" I ask, and I recieve a hmm, and hear her heating something up, and follow her to the kitchen. My eyes fall on the microwave, and see her heating another blood bag. "Wait, didn't Levi tell you to eat some food?"
"I want blood." Irisa narrows her eyes.
"You can have that one blood bag, then you need to eat." I cross my arms and Irisa huffs. "No arguments, Irisa."
"Fine, whatever. But you're cooking because I'm not in the mood to." Irisa says, and I can't help but smile. She takes the blood bag out of the microwave and I see her fangs elongate as she bites into it.
"So, can you tell me the one thing that you said that pulled me out of the compulsion right before my father made me drink the vervain?" I ask her, and Irisa stops drinking, her fangs still in the bag. I see her eyes close, and the bag drops to the floor, making blood splatter, everywhere. I realize then that was the worst thing in the world to ask her. Her fangs slide back into her gums, and I notice Irisa's skin visibly pale. I gently touch her arm, and suddenly I'm thrown back to the day she died, in 1864...
~September 25th, 1864~
"Stefan, Stefan, you have to listen to me!" Rhiannon grabs my arm, pulling me away from the crowd of servants and my father downstairs. I glance around, startled, looking around to see if Katherine or Damon or Levi is watching but none of them are around. "Stefan, stop messing around, this is urgent!" Rhiannon exclaims, and I look back at her, even more startled.
"Rhiannon, what is wrong?" I ask her, and she touches my cheek.
"Stefan, you and your brother are in danger." Rhiannon says. "Do not trust Katherine, she's out to hurt you."
"No, you must be mistaken, Rhia." I shake my head. "She loves me."
"No, she aims to harm you, and your brother. You must tell your father. Please, it's the only way. Look at me. Stefan, look at me, now." Rhiannon begs, and I look down at her, her dark eyes bright as they gaze into my own dark green eyes. "You must come out of this, she's compelling you to love her, Steffie. I love you. I can't let you die. Please, don't let her do this." That's when it all hits me like a horse pulling it's carriage.
Everything that has happened since Katherine arrived begins to flash through my mind at an alarming rate, and Rhiannon grabs my hands pulling me back to the present. "Wh-what's happening? Where's Damon?" I demand.
"He's out, Stefan." Rhiannon whispers. "Talk to your father, please. Something must be done. Be hasty."
I nod, and pull my hands free from hers, starting back towards my father, but then I stop, looking back at Rhiannon. "What did you say?" I ask, and her eyes widen.
"Pardon, Mr. Salvatore?" She clasps her hands in front of her, and I feel even more confused.
"You said... You told me you love me."
"Stefan?" Giuseppe Salvatore calls, and Stefan looks over at his father for a moment, then back at me.
"Your father is waiting, Mr. Salvatore." Rhiannon says. "I will speak with you shortly." With that, she turns around, her skirts sweeping the floor.
---
"The girl said what?" Katherine demands, and I shake my head. "No, I will not be upstaged by the likes of someone I created!" Her voice raises, and I take her hand.
"Perhaps she is mistaken, Katherine." I murmur.
"You and your brother will be my finest creations, and the girl will pay." Katherine says, "Now, keep your mouth closed, and come with me, Stefan." She smiles, her eyes bright and she takes my hand. "Mr. Salvatore?" She says, knocking on my father's office door.
"What is it? Oh. Miss... Pierce." My father says, and motions for us to come inside. "What may I help you with Miss. Pierce?"
"The girl that I came here with, I fear something may have happened to her... You know she likes to spend time alone in the woods at night?" Katherine asks, her eyes lowered in a way that makes her seem much more innocent, and my father nods. "Well, I fear she might be one of these creatures of the night we should all fear. She was speaking to your son, trying to get him to run away with her."
"Stefan, is this true?" My father asks, and I look over at Katherine, shocked that she'd lie to my father this way. "Well, Stefan?"
"Yes, father." I lie, and look back at him. "Yes." Lying for Katherine seems to be all I've done since I met her.
"You truly believe she's a vampire, Miss. Pierce?" My father asks her.
"I certainly do, Mr. Salvatore."
"Stefan, do you think so as well?" My father asks me.
I swallow hard before saying, "Yes, father." Forgive me, Rhiannon- I think to myself.
"Miss. Pierce, if you'll come with me. Stefan, help yourself to the tea on my desk. It's going to be a long night."
"Yes, father." I agree, and take a drink of it, surprised by it's bitterness.
----
I heard the scream upstairs, and when I raced up there, I felt like my own heart would stop. Rhiannon, dead, before my eyes. My father, had staked her. In front of Damon. Katherine had won one battle, but the war was ultimately lost that night when she was captured, along with the others.
----

~Present Day~
I let go of Irisa's arm, and watch as she backs away from me. "I remember everything." Irisa whispers.
"Irisa-" I murmur, and she shakes her head.
"You were protecting your brother. I'm not stupid. I understand. I told you what you needed to do, and you did it. That's all there is to it." Irisa says, and I grab her hand, pulling her close to me.
"What the hell was that?" I demand, and she raises an eyebrow.
"A little gift from a young witch." Irisa shrugs.
"You're untrained, but you can draw not only on your memories, but my own." I say, confused.
"Steffie, don't forget, I've been around longer than you. I've got a few tricks up my sleeves." She reminds me, and she gives me a small smile. "I don't blame you. Katherine played you, and me, and Damon and Levi and even your father. You're not to blame."
"What drew me out of the compulsion... it was what you said. You telling me you loved me." I tell her.
"I know." Irisa says, her hand gently squeezing mine. "You needed to hear it from someone who actually meant it, and not someone who was just using you." She drops my hands, and sighs, looking around the room, then the floor. "I have a mess to clean up."
"I'll take care of it. Then I'll make you something to eat. Just go get a shower and then you can relax for a bit, alright? I'm sure Levi has clothes around here for you to wear."
"He does. I've seen them." Irisa says, and walks over to the closet holding a mop, and gets it out along with some bleach. She hands them to me, and turns to go. But then she stops, her back to me. "I don't blame you." She whispers.
"What?" I ask her, swallowing hard. "What do you mea-"
"Elena. She's the one who did it. Not you. None of it is your fault. She likes Damon, but she won't admit it. She doesn't want me around him. If she'd admit that she likes him, then maybe she wouldn't feel the need to be so mad that he's interested in her and me." Irisa says. "But it's not your fault. None of it is. You're just trapped in it all. You don't belong in it." She turns around. "I did love you when I was Rhiannon. You were special, Stefan. If I could have, I'd have taken Katherine away from Mystic Falls, away from this whole place, away from you and Damon, and none of this would have happened. You both would have been safe." She walks over to me, and kisses my cheek. "You deserved better." With that, she disappears, and I blink, shocked. She had been there one second, the next she was just gone. She's faster than my brother, Levi and I am, that's for sure. I touch my cheek, feeling like perhaps she might be right. I had deserved better than Katherine. But I would never have been good enough for her love. Rhiannon had been special. Irisa had taken her place, but one thing remains, my love for her.
-
"Is that Logan Fell?" Irisa mutters, clearly annoyed. We'd gone to the school, and there he was, working the crowd. He was doing well. For a dead guy.
My phone rings, and I answer. "What is it, Damon?"
"Logan Fell is a vampire and when I find him again I am going to destroy him limb by limb." Damon says, clearly annoyed.
"What happened? Are you okay? Is Elena with you?" I ask all at once.
"No, I'm not okay. I was ambushed. I was shot. Now I'm vengeful. I've got to find him, Elena and Levi are with me." Damon says.
"Well there's no need. He's here. At the school." I say, "And Irisa is with me. She's not exactly thrilled about the man, that's for sure."
"You're kidding me. What's he doing there?" Damon asks.
"He's working the crowd." Irisa speaks into my phone, and Damon sighs.
"We'll be right there." Levi says, "Make her stay close, Stefan."
"Whose we?" Stefan demands.
"Elena. She's with me. She's been my buffy the vampire slayer tonight, but all she's managed to do is get me shot." Damon says, clearly annoyed still.
"Oh, lovely." Irisa mutters, rolling her eyes.
"Leave her out of this, Damon." I warn him.
"Like I said, we'll be there soon." Damon says, hanging up the phone.
----
Irisa
I spot Jeremy and Tyler fighting and my dad trying to break them up, grabbing them by their necks, and throwing them out the door. I follow, making sure everything is okay, bypassing Stefan, without him even noticing.
"Alright, lets get this out of your systems. Fight." He demands.
"You want us to what?" Jeremy asks, looking at him like he's crazy, which, I just my father does look sort of crazy right now.
"You heard me. I'm tired of you two embarrassing your families in public all over some trashy little girl you both were with right along with half of Mystic Falls." Insulting Vicki? Big mistake. Not his best move.
"I'm not fighting him, Dad." Tyler says, and Jeremy attempts to move around him, but my father side steps him, and continues to block his path.
"You don't fight in there like pansies, you take your problems out here, and fight like men." He says, shoving Jeremy toward Tyler.
"Dad, that's not your kid." I point out, stepping into the light.
"Irisa." Dad breathes out, spotting me. "You'd better go back inside.
"Or what, you want to see a fight? Dad, I can fight better than you any night."
"Irisa, don't." Tyler yells, and pulls me towards him.
"What the hell is going on here?" A middle aged guy with brownish-blonde hair asks as he comes toward us, and I recognize him as the new teacher, the one who took Mr. Tanner's place, but I have yet to meet him officially.
"I'm just letting these kids sort it out. Go back inside." Dad says, dismissing him, and waves for him to leave.
He looks back at Jeremy, then at me, and I shake my head, signalling to him that everything was definitely not okay.
"I don't want to go back inside. What I want is an answer to my question." He snaps at my father.
"Who do you think you're talking to? Do I look like a student?" My father asks.
"No, what you look like is a full grown, alpha male, douche bag." The man says, and my father narrows his eyes.
"You realize I could have your job like this?" He says, snapping his fingers at Alaric.
"Yeah, you do that, and it'll be you and me out here in this parking lot, working things out." The guy threatens.
My father storms back inside and Tyler's grip on my arms loosens. "Are you okay?" He asks me.
"I'm fine, but I can't have you two fighting right now! Tyler, you're my brother, so you better listen up. Jeremy is always going to be my friend, and Vicki was important to all of us. So the two of you need to grow the hell up."
"Well you need to stop getting in the middle of fights. You're lucky you weren't hurt." Jeremy says, and I roll my eyes.
"I'm not going to get hurt quite as easily anymore. If you two wouldn't get in fights, I wouldn't have half as many to break up."
"Really? Cause you seem to fight with Tyler a lot too." Jeremy laughs.
I roll my eyes and laugh as well.
"Sorry, Ris. Be careful." Tyler says, before walking away. I feel like he's apologizing again for more than just tonights events.
"Is he always like that?" The man asks.
"Pretty much." Jeremy and I say together.
"I don't think we've met." The man says. "Alaric Saltzman. I took Mr. Tanner's place, and I'm guessing you're the only student I haven't met yet, Irisa Lockwood?"
"Yes." I say, and shake his hand.
"You and Jeremy both have Jackass files." Alaric says, and I look back at Jeremy.
"Hell yeah." I smack Jeremy a high five. "I knew there was something good about being in a junior class when I'm only a freshman."
"Congrats, you seem to have made the man loathe you." Alaric says. "But your grades are great, so I don't see any problems, as long as you start attending class. Your mother already informed me you weren't feeling well today but that they were making you come tonight anyways. I'm sorry you hadn't been feeling well. I heard about the stuff that was going on."
"I'm better now. No need to be sorry." I tell him. "I'll be in class though, so thank you for being concerned."
I walk back inside and leave, only to be hit in the back of the head.
When I finally open my eyes, I'm in a car, and I smell blood, a lot of it.
But I also smell something else, something that had been forced down my throat earlier, and is still in the car, something that suddenly makes me begin to vomit uncontrollably. It feels like battery acid coming up my throat, and I begin to sweat uncontrollably, my body aching. That's when I hear a window shatter, and a gun going off.
"Payback is a bitch, ain't it?" Damon mocks.
"Sheriff, it's Damon." He says into the phone.
"Damon? Where's Caroline?" She asks in a panic.
"She's fine. My brother is bring her home now." He explains.
Stefan grabs Caroline out of the car, and takes off into the distance with her.
"She's okay, I'm on Elm Street. Levi is taking care of Irisa." He hangs up, and I assume Sheriff Forbes would be here any minute. Levi pull open the van door, pulling me out of the van.
"Oh god, Irisa. What happened? What's wrong?" Levi demands, and I shake my head.
"Don't feel so well." I mumble, and I cling to his chest. Levi strokes my hair, and when he smells my neck, he lets out a gasp.
"What is it?" Damon asks.
"Nothing. I'm taking her home. She needs rest." Levi says, and then we're gone. I'm laying on the couch, and Levi grabs a few blood bags, and a cool, wet wash cloth.

----

Levi

"I want you to drink these, and I'm going to lay this on your forehead. I have a call I need to make, Ris. Stay calm, alright?" I tell her, laying the wash cloth on her forehead, and she mumbles a yes, taking a sip of the blood bag.
I leave the room, pacing as I call Izolda. "What do you want?" She asks me.
"Look, I have a problem... Irisa has a problem."
"What do you mean, Levi?"
"She died, with vampire blood in her system, but you know she's a werewolf, and a witch, and now she's a vampire. She can use magic because she is a siphoner, and I don't know what to think right now because she was poisoned with wolfsbane, and she hasn't even triggered her curse yet, but does that make a difference?" I ask in a rush, and Izolda lets out a startled gasp.
"I'm on my way. The house address you gave me?"
"Yes." I mumble.
"Levi, if she's sick from wolfsbane, she might be alright, it'll take sometime to leave her system, but it might be a stronger effect because of what she is. That's why I'm coming. She needs another one of her kind right now."
"I understand. Hurry. Please." I whisper.
"Already on my way, Leviticus." Izolda hangs up, and I walk back into the living room to find Irisa gone.
----