Chapter Four: A Talk With Tony

"Hey, kid. How ya feelin?" Tony asked, setting down a half-eaten donut and coffee.

"I'm okay."

Tony looked at Bruce and Dr. Strange. "How bad is it?"

"Bruised and cracked ribs, had a concussion, almost burst a lung, and he had some serious blood loss," Bruce replied.

   Tony just stared at Peter. "Can I have a moment alone with him?"

   Dr. Strange and Bruce nodded, leaving the room.

   Tony continued to just stare at Peter.

   "Are you mad at me?" Peter asked warily.

   Tony's jaw clenched.

   "...are you?"

   Tony breathed out heavily. "I'm not mad. I just want to know why."

   "Why what?"

   "Why you jumped off a fucking SKYSCRAPER, Peter!" Tony snapped.

   "I, I, I-,"

   "You what?"

   "I, I don't know."

   "Dammit, Peter, that's not an answer."

   "I'm sorry," Peter whispered.

   Tony pulled his hands through his hair, obviously stressed.

He started waving his hands around and said, "Yeah. Okay. Fine. You don't want to talk about it. I get it." Tony was both distressed and fuming. "Do you remember when I told you that if you die, I feel that would be on me? I still do. I don't want this on my consciousness. Tell me what's going on."

   Peter just stared at his hands, voice quivering, and said, "Mr. Stark, I don't know how to tell you."

   "Just tell me," Tony said. "Please?"

Peter's anxiety skyrocketed. He didn't want anyone to think less of him because of his secret. He wanted to stay stealth but he didn't want to lie, either.

Peter felt lost, and he felt a panic attack starting. What is May going to say? Is she okay? What about Ned?? MJ? Tony?!

Peter's hands started to sweat, and he wanted to get up and pace. Curse this hospital bed...

His breathing grew ragged and he clutched onto his arms, eyes wide.

He could hear a faint "Peter? Peter?" In the background.

"Are you alright? What's happening?" He heard Tony say.

Peter kept shaking for about five minutes. What is May gonna do? Is she okay?

   He tried calming himself. It's okay... Bruce said it's okay... I'm okay...

Peter eventually stopped shaking, yet he was still shivering slightly. His hands were still cold and sweaty. He was silent for a few minutes, and he could feel Tony's worried eyes on him, his hand on Peter's shoulder.

Peter licked his lips and stared at the wall, trying to let the calm spread over him and smother the anxiety.

"Peter?"

"Sorry, Mr. Stark. I don't know what happened."

"Was that an anxiety attack?" Tony asked, concerned.

"More like a panic attack? but... yeah..."

Tony gripped Peter's shoulder. "It's okay, kid. Those aren't always easy."