Chapter Two

Shocked, I stared at him. From his tone, I inferred Mother had been hurt rather badly. "Why was I not notified?" I demanded immediately, struggling to sit up straight. "Is she well? What happened?"

"It was an accident," Father explained quietly. He heaved a slight sigh. "There was a hole in the ground she didn't see on her morning ride. Sprite went down, taking your mother with her. Your mother wasn't able to get free, and her left leg was broken. She has been in her bed since then, and the doctor doesn't think it likely she will ride again."

Breathing out, I sagged back against the chair. "Mother never to ride again?" Nothing about that sentence made any sense, and I shook my head. "Poor Mother! She must be devastated."

"Sprite's leg was also broken, and I had to put her down."

I flinched. That alone would have broken Mother's heart, and my mind began working out how I could make it up to her. Barely a moment later, and I had just the thing. "Miles mentioned his father might need to sell Midnight Summer since she's aging. She would be just the mare to replace Sprite."

"Your mother won't be able to ride again, Lucas," Father repeated, his tone becoming stricter.

"Perhaps, but she should have a horse she can visit and spoil every day," I said, becoming more enthusiastic about the scheme. "Summer is a sweet-tempered mare that could use a lovely place where she can live out the rest of her days in peace. I will suggest it to Mother when I see her."

Father shook his head. "Wait a bit, Luke. I don't want you wasting money on a horse no one can use."

I frowned at his tone. Had I not just explained the benefit of purchasing Midnight Summer? "Why do I get the feeling Mother is worse than you have told me?" I asked, unable to shake off the suspicion that was growing. I tried to work out the timing in my head. "If she was hurt in early spring and it's now summer, her leg should be healed at this point."

"Lucas, leave it."

"You still haven't explained why you didn't let me know about this. I would have come home sooner."

Father's eyes narrowed. "If you hadn't been traveling the world, I wouldn't have needed to send word in the first place, young man. And, I will have you know, Philippa penned some sort of note when it first happened."

Understanding dawned. "Well, then, that explains it," I said, shaking my head. "Philly is an empty-headed thing on the best of days. She may have penned such a note but no doubt she forgot to send it. I hope this Talbot fellow knows what he's getting into."

"Can you not curb your opinion?" Father asked sharply.

It was always like this with my father and I. Every since I was first sent home from Eton, I was a disappointment to him. George, the firstborn and heir, could do no wrong and I, on the other hand, did everything wrong.

"Certainly," I said, giving up on the subject for the moment. I knew exactly where I could get some answers. "I will just go up and let Mama know I have returned."

"I'm sure Butler has already sent someone to inform her."

"Then, I won't keep her waiting." I pushed myself out of the chair. "I will see you at dinner, Father. Unless there was some other piece of news you wished to tell me?"

He focused his attention on his papers, but it didn't hide his tension. "Not at this time."

Puzzled by his reluctance to tell me why he had summoned me if it wasn't to inform me of my mother's injury, I left the office. I jogged up to Mama's sitting room but found it empty. I changed my destination and hurried to my mother's bedroom.