chapter 7

Julia sat in the back of Chief Jim Hoppers car with Jonathan and Nancy, while Mrs. Byers was in the passengers seat.

Her foot tapped anxiously, shaking the car a bit. "Are you okay?" Jon asked her. "Just worried about Dustin." She took a deep breath. "Don't worry, he's a tough kid." He reminded her.

She gave him a thankful nod and rested her hand on Joyce's shoulder. "We're going to find Will." Joyce held the girls hand for a moment, taking a deep breath.

"Okay we need to find the kids before they do. Do either of you have any idea where Mike or Dustin might have gone?" "No I don't." "I need you to think."

" I think I know how to find out." Julia spoke up, all eyes were on her. "Go to the Byers, Will should still have his radio there." Hopper nodded his head and sped off to the house.

As Nancy and Julia walked into the house, they stopped and stared at all the Christmas lights that decorated the house. "Whaattt."

They ran into Wills room and looked for the walkie talkie his friends had given him. "I got it!" Joyce yelled from under his bed.

Nancy switched it on and began talking into it. "Mike, are you there? Mike. It's me, Nancy. This is an emergency Mike, do you copy?"

They waited, but got no response from the kid. "Julia you try, maybe Dustin will pick up." Joyce offered the idea. Nancy handed her the walkie-talkie.

"Dust? Are you there? Do you copy?" Julia pulled away, hoping for a response, nothing. "Dustin, I'm gonna say only one thing that you and I know. A few days ago I came home crying. You had your head in the fridge and a donut in your mouth," she quietly laughed to herself, "you knew why I was crying and you threw the donut away and just hugged me. It's me, I'm safe. Just someone please let me know you guys are too, over."

There was static for a few seconds, until we heard him. "It's Mike, I'm here." Everyone sighed in relief to hear the familiar voice of the younger Wheeler.
_______________________________

Joyce, Julia, Jonathan and Nancy all sat on the living room couch, anxiously waiting for the arrival of Hopper and the kids.

They all stood up as they heard tires pull up the drive way. Julia ran outside, a wave of relief rushed over her when she saw the curly haired kid come out of the car.

"Oh my god." Julia ran to her little brother. Embracing him in a tight hug, Nancy did the same with Mike. Dustin hugged his sister, thankful she was okay. Nancy looked at El, a small smile on her face, "is that my dress?"

"Oh El." Julia walked up to the girl and placed a hand on the side of her face. "I'm so glad you're safe, are you ok-" Julia stopped talking as Eleven pulled her into a hug. Julia rested her cheek on top of the El's head, giving it a quick kiss.

Everyone gathered in the living room again as Mike gave the adults a demonstration about The Upside Down. "Okay. So in this example, were the acrobat. Will and Barbra, and that monster, they're this flea. And this is the Upside Down, where Will is hiding. Mr. Clarke said the only way to get there is through a rip of time and space."

"A gate." "That we tracked to Hawkins Lab." "With our compasses. Okay so the gate has a really stronger electromagnetic forcefield,and that can change the direction of a compass needle." "Is this gate underground?" Hopper asked.

"Yes." El answered. "Near a large water tank?" El nodded and answered again. Julia, who was next to the young girl, held her hand giving it a small squeeze.

"Is there any way you could reach Will? That you could talk to him in this-" "the Upside Down." El nodded her head. "And my friend Barbra, can you find her too" Nancy asked, El simply nodded once more.

There was a picture that Jonathan took, next to Wills walkie-talkie. Static pulsed around the room, increasing in some moments. The lights flickered quickly, a soft whimper escaped El's lips.

She opened her eyes, looking at Joyce. "I'm sorry." "W-wrong? What happened?" Joyce stuttered. "I can't find them." El said, her voice breaking. Joyce covered her mouth as Jonathan walked away.

Julia sat right next to her, she gently ran her hand over her head. "Its okay El. I'm right here, we will find them. It's okay." Julia hushed the crying girl.

"I need the bathroom." Julia pointed it out to her and sat back down. "You know for a teenager you're good with kids." Hopper spoke, taking a sip of coffee he just made. "Thank you."

"How are you so good with El?" Mike questioned. " I dont know honestly. It's just my natural reactions to whenever someone needs somebody. I know El needs it most after all those years at Hawkins Lab, so I'll be right here to help her."

"Okay. Whenever El uses her powers, she gets weak." Mike stood around the table. "The more energy she uses the more tired she gets."

"She flipped a van earlier." "It was awesome." "But she's drained." "Kind of like a bad battery?" Julia asked. "Exactly."

"The bath." El's voice spoke from behind them. "What?" Joyce whipped around. "I can find them. In the bath." Julia looked at Dustin, who knew what to do. She stood up and allowed El to sit in her seat.

"Do you still have that kiddie pool we bobbed for apples in?" Dustin asked Joyce. "I think so yeah."

"Good then we just need salt. Lots of it." "How much?" Julia leaned towards her brother. "1,500 pounds."