Chapter 2

Once over the hurdle of making themselves understood, George found Kathy was very pleasant company. However, his enjoyment of their evening was spoilt but the level of noise coming from the bedroom next door. Kathy noticed his annoyance.

"George, is something wrong?"

He looked at her. "Can't you hear them? Paul and your sister?"

She shook her head, looking puzzled.

"Probably a good job to be honest."

"Why? Where are they?"

He paused, debating on the best way to respond. He gestured towards the ajoining room. She followed his gaze. "Let's just say that my band mate is currently, as Mr Shakespeare would say, 'making a beast with two backs' with your sister!"

Kathy looked shocked and then upset. "She wouldn't! My parents would kill her if they found out. My twin sister doing that with a man she hardly knows!"

"You're twins?" He started laughing, "No way! You're not even alike! Who's the oldest?"

She nodded, smiling. "I know we're not identical! Lucy, she's the eldest - by eight minutes!" She laughed. "It's something she never let me forget when we were growing up! Do you have siblings George?"

"Yes. I'm the youngest of four. I've got two brothers and a sister. They all still live in Liverpool, as do my parents."

George glanced towards the ajoining room where the sounds of very noisey sex could be heard. He stood up, his face showing his disgust. Kathy looked up at him, questioningly. "Fancy something to eat or drink?" he asked.

"Please." She got up and followed him into the kitchen. She looked at him quizzically as he shut the kitchen door. He gave her an apologetic smile. Shaking her head, she knew immediately the reason why.

"What would you like to drink?" he asked, gesturing taking a drink. "Tea, coffee..." He opened the fridge, "milk or beer?"

She smiled. "A beer would be nice please."

He passed her a small bottle and handed her a clean glass from the cupboard. Thanking him, she sat down.

"Are you hungry?"

She didn't answer. George realised that he wasn't facing her again. He tapped her on the hand. She looked up. "Hungry?"

She nodded. "Starving."

He rooted around the fridge then faced her, "I'm not sure if I've got anything to make a sandwich with and I can't cook!"

Laughing she stood up again. "I'll make something if you like. What've you got in?"

George looked again. "A piece of very hard, dry cheese, slightly stale bread, butter. And...this?" He held up a very shrivelled onion. "but I'm not sure if it's still edible though!"

Laughing at his wrinkled nose, she took it off him. "How does cheese and onion on toast sound then?" she suggested.

Together they made the midnight snack, George made the toast whilst Kathy prepared the cheese and onion. Finally they sat down together and, chatting as they did so, they began to eat.

"How long have you been deaf?" he asked softly, "You don't mind me asking, do you?"

"No, it's OK I don't mind. Lucy and I caught measles when we were nine. I was so seriously ill I ended up in hospital. But she hardly had a spot!  After the spell in hospital, I was left deaf." She shrugged. "It's one of the possible side effects of measles. That or blindness. All things considered, I'm glad I'm deaf!"