Chapter Forty-Six

Even though Alcina made it clear that she was returning home, Renata still found herself feeling slightly worried, simply because she thought it was all coming across as too easy. After years and years of her mother always having to be the one who was right and trying to keep her children on the path she and her husband had paved, it seemed too easy that she would just give in and return home. Did she really hold that much doubt in Renata's ability to find a job and a man that made her happy to the point where she truly believed that Renata could be coming "home" sooner rather than later?

It was clear that Alcina believed that Renata was incapable of doing anything properly for herself because, in her mother's eyes, she had just become a babysitting whore. It definitely hurt Renata to hear her mother say such things about her, especially since Renata had done really nothing to warrant such a reaction. But it angered Renata beyond anything that Alcina had gone after James in such an insensitive way. To bring up Lily as if she blamed James for his wife's death, he didn't need that at all. She had been so disrespectful to James, it really did come across as bewildering to Renata.

Throughout her childhood, Renata had distinct memories of her parents always coming across as so poised and sophisticated in the eyes of others, especially guests. They were the perfect family and they certainly made it well-known with how they carried themselves. But what Renata had come to witness, her mother had fallen from the graces of perfection so rapidly, only to crash and burn like the remains of Icarus. Perhaps her mother wanted her family to fly close to the sun so that they would forever be showered in the light, but flying too close had resulted in nothing pleasant.

Renata didn't want to see it before, however, she had no other choice but to realise that her mother could be quite a monster when she did not get her way with things. She had managed to make everyone feel absolutely miserable and she had only visited for two hours. What would have happened if she ended up staying the entire time that she planned for her visit? Renata didn't even want to think about it, she already knew that Adelmo had been knocked down several pegs with his confidence due to their mother's visit.

Thankfully, Alcina had only mocked the presentation of his flat, if she had known about whatever was taking place between him and Sirius, Renata could have expected a hellish storm and Renata didn't think her brother was strong enough to tackle that as of yet. He was going to need time to recover because once again, he was reminded that he was a disappointment, due to the lack of a wife and the start of a family. The only way he could be deemed accomplished would be to return home with a wife and children so that their parents knew there was no way he could stray back towards men.

Hopefully, Renata could be there for him as well as Sirius because while she wasn't sure what was really going on between the two men, she was sure that Sirius would be there for Adelmo no matter what. That gave Renata the opportunity to focus on James because she really felt as though her mother had crossed so many damn lines in such a short period of time. James had been doing so well with his healing, he was going for days without any sort of problems and she didn't want that to end for him.