{2}

Lucy pulled her phone from her pocket the moment that they were outside of the building. She turned to the boys. 'I'm going to call my mate. I'm sure I can find my room on my own, I'll meet you guys at lunch?'

'Yeah sure,' Kayden responded and Nate nodded, giving her a smile as she dialled the number and headed off towards one of the many park benches that were placed in the garden that they were now near.

Nate and Kayden walked together through the garden, following the footpath that they knew would lead them to the four story building where they would be staying. The garden around them was lavish, full of patches of flowers and large trees were randomly placed in the grass, people already using them for shade from the warm sun which shone brightly above them. One of the bigger trees was already being used as a play thing by some of the first years, the fifteen year olds were high up in the tree, just sitting and talking. Nate smiled at them and gave them a wave, he supposed that Alpha powers must be fun for them.

An Alpha's extra powers; strength and senses were improved at around the age of fifteen, and Nate remembered climbing every tree around his pack house and running for hours on end, finding constant amusement at the fact that he had to run for so long before getting actually becoming exhausted. He would always win in the races against his little brother, but since his brother was fifteen now, the two would soon be evenly matched.

All of the Alpha's children were Alpha's themselves, but any second children usually never had a chance to actually lead the packs. They were usually second in command. Nate felt a little sorry for his brother, who would have loved to lead the pack one day, but he wouldn't get the chance.

Well, he will if I never find my mate, Nate thought, but pushed it back.

An Alpha could be instated as the ruler of the pack as soon as they were eighteen and had a mate, otherwise they had to wait until they found their mate, and Nate truly hoped that he would be instated on his birthday like his father before him, and his father before him.

'What's it like, having a mate?' Nate asked Kayden as they slowly walked along the concrete path.

Kayden looked at him for a second like he had just asked him how much the sun weighed or something, but then he seemed to remember something and looked at Nate with concerned eyes.

'Haven't you found her yet?'

Nate shook his head, looking down slightly. 'Not yet.'

Kayden nodded understandably, patting Nate on the arm comfortingly before withdrawing it and speaking, 'It's the most amazing thing in the world, my mate is everything to me and every second that we are apart is like the worst type of torture,' Kayden admitted and Nate was quite surprised to hear such emotion in the voice of someone who looked like they were the hulks older, more serious brother on the outside.

'Is it really that hard? How do so many people do it when they come to camp?' Nate asked, the cool wind blowing through his brown hair and pushing some onto his face.

'I thought the same thing last year, but since I found my mate, It's like a piece of you is missing, and it's your job to protect them, you know,' Kayden told him, 'and I would be inconsolable right now if I didn't know that all of my brothers and my father are looking after her until I get back. The idea of being so far away from her, leaving her without protection even though my father's there, it's like physical pain.'

Kayden looked so sincere when he spoke and it just furthered Nate's wonder for how he would meet his mate. Would he feel that kind of love and connection in that first moment? From that first look?

'How did it feel when you first saw her?' Nate asked but Kayden just shrugged. He had hoped that he would explain in great detail his moment, he wanted to know what to expect, what to look for.