Chapter 18

“I don't know what you want with Shadow, but you can't take him!” Sonic shouted.

“So idiotic.” Heolstor laughed, roundhouse kicking him into a tree. He looked as if he was about to continue, but Haizea blasted him across the area.

Sonic raced up to him, quickly pinning him to a tree. “Ha! Not so high and powerful now, are you!?”

He was only met with a swift kick to his gut.

“There has to be a weak point!” Tails yelled to Knuckles as the echidna went with another unsuccessful punch to the robot. “All of Eggman’s robots have weak points!”

“I don't see any!” Knuckles shouted back, becoming more frantic with each punch.

Sonic couldn’t hide his loud squeak when water was suddenly dumped on the robot near him.

Buziba laughed. “Still terrified of water, brother?”

“I’m not scared!” Sonic quickly defended, but it obviously didn’t work.

Meanwhile, the robot started to short circuit, Eggman screaming wildly. Shadow rolled his eyes, watching the mad man spam random buttons. “Have you given up yet, doctor?”

Eggman grinned, though Shadow couldn’t see it. “Of course not, my dear Shadow.”

Something about the way he said that… unnerved the red striped hedgehog. He tilted his head slightly, glaring at the human suspiciously. His movements were quick and jerky, but Shadow had just ignored it. The doctor’s movements were usually quick, but they were always calculated and smooth. Something was going on but what?

The robot started falling backwards, but Eggman, pressing a button, was able to detach the head. It floated above the mess of the rest of the robot. Knuckles glared as he quickly ran, jumping and cracking the glass. The machine toppled back a bit, and Shadow took the opportunity to break the glass.

“Shadow!” Sonic quickly called out, but as he jumped to catch the other, something hit him, causing him to fall, hitting the ground with a loud thud.

“He’s mine!” Heolstor hissed, going after Shadow, but someone caught him before he could. “Who dares!?”

A small, red hedgehog landed on the ground, Shadow on her shoulder. Her muzzle was in a deep frown as her orange eyes glared in no real direction.

“Kalama….” Buziba breathed out.

Kalama looked back, a small smirk growing. “Hey. Did ya miss me?”

“Perfect timing, sister.” Haizea smiled.

“Yeah, whatever.” Kalama rolled her eyes before looking to Heolstor.

The dark being growled before composing himself, staring at Kalama with content. “Great, now you will hand him to me.”

Kalama burst out laughing. “Ha! You sure are somethin’, thinking that.”

“Would you put me down now!” Shadow grunted.

“Wouldn’t you want to please your dear old pop?” Heolstor’s voice sounded calculated and persuading.

“Now is not the time for that.” Haizea boomed, taking a step toward the two, but Kalama held up her free hand to stop her.

“Ugh, these things never work out right.” Shadow grumbled, glancing a bit worriedly to Sonic, who hadn’t gotten up since Heolstor hit him.

“We need him, Kalama.” Heolstor continued. “With him, our destruction will have no limit. We will sit on a throne of darkness, and rule over all these creatures that you despise.” Kalama looked to Shadow, actually seeming to debate this in her mind.