01

Lee Taeyong wasn't always a bad boy. In fact, you didn't even consider him to be one nowadays. But that was probably because of the photos of you two together playing with bubbles in the bath when you were two, and sitting in slides together at three, and of you smashing cake in each other's faces at your fourth birthday party. Knowing someone since childhood made it hard for you to ever take them seriously, much less when they tried to completely reinvent themselves before you started your last year of high school.

At the end of June, you were spending a lazy day at the park with Taeyong, his head resting on your lap as you sat together on a blanket was when he first shared in a hushed whisper his want to get piercings, dye his hair, and get tattoos. To "become a bad boy," according to him. You couldn't help but snort, trying not to dissuade your friend too much. He lightly laughed it off with you.

Only a week later, Taeyong climbed through your bedroom window-a regular occurrence-to show you the fake lip ring he got. If you could detach the boy in front of you from your old childhood friend, you could see that the lip ring looked really good on him. But you just couldn't. You tried nonetheless, telling him you thought it was pretty. He pouted as he took it off his bottom lip and threw it in your trashcan.

Two weeks later, at nearly midnight, your phone rang with an incoming call from him.

"Hey, Yonggie." You greeted him with a yawn. "What's up?"

You didn't miss the audible sigh he let out before speaking. "Are you home?"

"Uh, yeah. Why?"

"Look over."

Standing up from the comfort of your bed, you opened your blinds to peer out. Taeyong's window across the yard from yours was illuminated, the cheerful figure of your friend waving at you.

"Okay, now watch this." With that, he ripped off the beanie had been wearing to reveal a head full of bright red hair.

"Oh my god! Your parents are going to kill you when they see that tomorrow!"

"I know!"

"Where did you even get it done?"

"I did it at Yukhei's house!"

You took a deep breath, the name familiar to you. "As in, Wong Yukhei?"

Yukhei had moved to your school last year, bringing with him a bad reputation. Apparently, he had gotten expelled from his previous school for an array of things. Depending on who you asked, it was either for pranking a teacher one too many times, punching another student, dealing drugs, underage drinking, or all of the above. None of them sounded pleasant to you, or like someone that you or Taeyong would want to hang out with. But he was now hanging out with Yukhei, which worried you.

"Yeah, Jaeh-Yoonoh invited me with him." Your friend explained, and you couldn't draw your eyes from the fiery visage of Taeyong across your yard. Jung Jaehyun was another childhood friend of the both of you, but he'd strayed from your friend group when you graduated middle school. You knew that he had started wanting to be called Yoonoh instead of Jaehyun now. You didn't even know he and Taeyong were hanging out again, you hadn't seen him in over a year.

"You hung out with Jae?"

Taeyong seemed to have noticed that he struck a chord with you, fervently backtracking, "He called me up the other day, and I mean I didn't know we were going to Yukhei's house, and I didn't go over there to dye my hair it just kind of happened. But I love it! Isn't it really cool?"

Squeezing your eyes shut in thought, you tried to compose words that wouldn't hurt your friend's feelings. He really did seem excited about the new hair color, and you couldn't argue that it didn't look good on him.