Shatter

Jack didn't even have the time to process Alex's words before the door of the bar was closing behind him. He was so tipsy he didn't have the ability to get off of the floor, just sitting in shock.

By the time Jack had fully stood up, Alex was speeding down the road to his house with tears flooding his vision. His knuckles were white from gripping the wheel with so much rage and panic. He then began to scold himself. "I should have fucking known. I shouldn't have given him another chance. I fucking shouldn't have. What the fuck is wrong with me?" He brought his fist down against the side of the steering wheel and let out a sob, pressing harder on the gas pedal. He just wanted to get home.

Back at the bar, Jack ran a hand through his hair and groaned, trying to bring himself together. He was still so drunk, but that didn't keep the realization of what just happened from hitting him straight in the chest like a bullet. He felt as if his body was melting under him, beginning to feel nauseous.

Sloppily, his legs brought him outside where he was sick onto the pavement below him.

He heard the door open again and a sigh. He realized it was Zack when he started to speak. "You okay dude? Do you want me to get you an Uber home?"

Jack spit onto the sidewalk and rubbed the tears out of his eyes. "'m gonna walk." He said, turning around on his heel and trudging towards the street.

"Jack, that's not safe."

Jack turned again and started to walk backwards and slowed his pace. He shrugged. "I just fucked everything up, Zack. I don't care if I'm safe or not." He was facing the street then, and not another word came from the man behind him.

This was supposed to be fun. He wanted to introduce his boyfriend to his friends, and have a wonderful time. But he fucked it up.

By the time he successfully limped home, he had lost all track of time. The only hint he had was that it was still dark out. It was on his walk that he remembered he never paid for the drinks, but didn't care much. It was his birthday celebration after all. 

He fell face first onto the couch with a deep sigh. He brought a fist down against the leather cushions angrily and let out a muffled scream of frustration.  All he could do was bathe in regret. Before he passed out from exhaustion, sobbing, and how drunk he was, he typed out a message and sent it to Alex. He fell asleep with the phone in his hand.

"Please don't leave me"

***

When the tattoo artist's eyes peeled open, he was hit with a wave of reality, consisting of pain and a hangover. The only things he remembered from the night before was how Alex looked when he hurt him. How his vomit splattered onto the concrete. How the wind felt as cars rushed past him on the side of the road.

His mouth tasted rotten, his clothes were twisted around his body, and his ears rang with every pound of his head. When he stood nearly every bone in his body cracked, causing him to wince. He stripped off his clothes until he was only in boxers and trudged to the bathroom, where he brushed his teeth aggressively. While staring at his tired, sunken in face in the mirror, a buzz from the living room caught his attention. His hand froze and he glanced in the bathroom mirror, seeing his phone lit up on the living room floor. 

Jack breathed in quickly, realizing he had texted Alex the night before. Eager to see a reply, he spit into the sink and almost ran to his phone, picking it up with wide eyes. With anxious scrolling, he was met with one message from his love.

Flower Boy

ill talk to you later, Jack.

His heart wrenched in his chest. He wanted to collapse and cry and beat himself up and die. He was such a fuck up. The phone slipped from his fingers and clashed onto the floor. He just breathed in and walked into the kitchen, leaning against the counter and letting his forehead drop into his palms.

Alex was his first real relationship, and he blew it. He didn't listen to him. He just got drunk and that resulted in him hurting the person he loves most. It was beginning to make sense why the younger chose not to drink. 

Why was it that his sense of empathy seemed to be broken? He should've put himself in Alex's shoes since the beginning. Ever since he asked him out on that date. He should've been more cautious with how fragile he was. If he could go back, hell, he would. He would give so much to go back and fix it.

But all he could do was worry now.

***

Sorry it's short. Have no motivation. I'm hoping to finish this soon, though.

love you guys!!

-aus