chapter 9

Steve repeatedly knocked on the Byers door, asking if Jonathan was there, the three stared at each other confused on what to do. Nancy stood up and walked towards the door. Unlocking it, she opened it slightly, revealing Steve who was out of breath.

"You need to leave." Nancy warned the boy, however Steve refused. He admitted he messed up with what he did to her. Julia sat on the couch, her eyes averted from him to her bandaged hand.

Steve had caught a glance at Nancy's bandaged hand, "h-hey what happened to your hand? Is that blood?"

"Nothing! It was an accident." Nancy pulled her hand back. "What's going on?" His protective instincts kicked in. "Wait did he do this to you?" Steve barged through the door, he stopped in his place when he saw Julia sitting there, her eyes not on him. "Jules? Did he do this to you too?" "No no Steve you need to listen."

His eyes landed on the baseball bat with nails hammered into them, "what is.. what the..." Jon shoved him backwards. The two argued back and forth, Julia tugging on his arm.

"Steve you need to get out of here it's not safe." Jon and Julia backed away at the sound of Nancy's revolver.

Suddenly the Christmas light began to flicker, the color illuminating the dark and dim house. "Guys..." Julia trailed off, grabbing her hopefully trusted steel bat.

"Nancy!" She didn't listen until Jon screamed her name, "the lights!" "Its here."Julia breathed out, her throat suddenly felt as though it was closing.

Her back was touching Nancy and Jonathan's shoulders as they circled around looking for the dangerous creature. Steve stood there shouting, confused like no tomorrow.

Julia pulled away from the two, "Steve you need to listen to me. It's not safe here you need to get out of here right-" her words failed to come out of her mouth as the ceiling began to break and shatter.

Nancy began to shoot at the odd creature, missing it both times. "Run! Go!" Jonathan grabbed Nancy as Julia gripped onto Steve's hand.

They ran into the hallway, Julia yelling at Steve to jump over the bear trap. Her best friend was hysteric shouting "Oh my god!" Multiple times in a row.

They locked themselves in Wills room, yelling at Steve who repeatedly asked what that thing was. Julia forced Steve behind her as she held her bat out. Her heart felt like it was racing a mile a minute.

The eerie sounds of the monster were heard, as if it were teasing the group of teens. The electricity suddenly stopped surging, the noises disappearing as well.

Jonathan opened the door, popping his head out to make sure there was nothing there. One by one they piled out of the bedroom, all slowly looking at each other.

Steve had his hand on Julia's shoulder, rubbing light circles on it which he knew calmed her down at times. They inched around the corner into the living room, but there was nothing there.

Steve stood behind Julia, mumbling incoherently. His mumbles quickly increased to shouting, "this is crazy!" He jumped from his spot, grabbing the house phone. Nancy ran to him, ripping it from his hands.

"Its going to come back! So you need to leave. Right. Now." Steve's breath hitched in his throat. He turned to look at Julia, her eyes begged him to leave.

Steve ran out of the house, Julia sighed as her back hunched forward. Her state of relaxation fled once the electricity began pulsating again. Julia ran towards Nancy and Jon, her bat in position to slam the monster.

"Come on. Come on you son of a bitch." The power went out, and everything after that felt like it was happening in slow motion.

The monster crawled up behind Jonathan, knocking him down to the ground. Its face opened up, like a flower but this was no fucking flower. It had teeth forming a circle around its mouth, slime oozed from its mouth, dripping onto Jonathan's face.

Nancy shot the monster in the arm, it got off Jonathan and looked at the girl with the gun. Julia ran behind it, snacking the steel bat at the head of the creature.

It turned to her, growling in hunger. Her fear got the best of her as she stood there frozen. "Julia!" Jon yelled, but it didn't get her to move. A loud grunt came from Steve as it smacked the nail infested bat into the monster.

"Steve!" Julia yelled in relief, but also frightened since her best friend had pissed the monster off even more.

Steve lead the creature into the hallway, he swung the bat around before hitting it backwards into the bear trap.

Julia and Steve stood in front of Nancy as Jon ran up, throwing his lighter into the line of gasoline, igniting the carpet and hallway in flames. Steve protectively put his arm around Julia, pushing her away from the flames.

Jon ran and grabbed the fire extinguisher. Everyone panted and coughed, surprised to see that the monster wasn't in the trap anymore. The only thing left in that spot was melted skin from the creature, and a large burn mark on the floor.

"Where did it go" Julia asked, her elbow covering her mouth. "It has to be dead."

Steve pulled Julia into the living room as Jonathan and Nancy continued to stare at the trap. He engulfed her in a hug as she dropped her bat. She returned the hug, she watched tears form in his eyes.

She couldn't tell if they were from being frightened about the whole thing, or happiness from finally seeing his best friend after what seemed like ages. "You're safe." He mumbled into her hair, quickly pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"So are you, but you got it bad." She looked up, getting an up close view of his cuts and bruises given to him by Jonathan. She placed a hand lightly on his cheek, he flinched a bit but leaned into her touch.

She rubbed her thumb on his cheek bone, her eyes still inspecting his injuries. His eyes lingered on her bottom lip, which she had ever so slightly bit with her teeth.

The two pulled apart at the sound of the Christmas lights lighting up, it wasn't in groups like before, this time it was lighting up one by one, like a trail.

Steve grabbed the nail baseball bat and stood in front of Julia while she slid the others the steel one from down the hallway. The four followed the trail of colored lights, before they stopped at the door.

"Mom. Is that you?" His eyes watered, as he stood in front of the exit. They went outside to see the lamp post light was pulsating. "Where is it going?" Nancy asked, "I dont think that's the monster."