Chapter 8.5 // Uriah

Marlene can be such an idiot sometimes. I mean, did she really just challenge me and say I can't aim well enough to hit a small object from 100 feet?

"Well, if you're so great, why don't you be my target?" I had challenged her.

That kind of lead to where we were now. Marlene was about to leave and I was about to shoot when We notice a certain girl at the end of the hallway.

"Tris!" I call out and jog towards her, congratulating her on her ranks.

Lynn and I explain the bet to  Tris while Marlene makes her way across the hallway.

After Tris understands the process, I get ready to shoot. I squint one eye, aiming my gun, my finger putting pressure on the trigger -

"Wait!" Marlene yells. She quickly pinches off a bit of muffin and eats. "Mmkay!" She gives me a thumbs-up and I almost sigh at how adorable it is.

Lynn tells Tris about how she's first ranked, but I'm quick to defend how I'm only second.

I squeeze the trigger and the muffin falls right off Marlene's head. She didn't even blink! I can't say I'm not surprised; Marlene is tougher than I thought, and I already saw her as amazing.

"We both win!" Marlene yells from across the hall. With that, she picks up her fallen muffin and takes a huge bite.

"Gross!" I shout at her, even though I just wanted to give her a big hug.

She bounds over to me, and I was about to say something stupid, but Four, Zeke and Shauna walk in.

Four, of course, confronted us for a little bit, but he then left us alone.

I then left with Zeke, thoughts of Marlene and her muffins swarming in my head.