17 | components of destruction

'her emotions are the loudest when she's silent.'

—  r.h. Sin

FINDING A PHONE WAS suddenly very, very low on the priority list

FINDING A PHONE WAS suddenly very, very low on the priority list. Ri and Minhyuk took exactly a single minute to panic and Ri knew it would've been longer if Monday hadn't asked, "Does the place have a garage or a car?" And then they'd dashed to where Minhyuk was sure he saw a door in the kitchen that might lead out to one.

He was right, much to Ri's relief. Ingrid wasn't kidding when she called this place a safe one. It wasn't the coziest or well stocked food-wise, but one look at the sleek getaway car and all of the safe house's shortcomings are forgotten.

Minhyuk jumped into the driver's seat and muttered, "keys, keys, keys," urgently until he found them with a little "aha!". Ri rushed into the passenger seat and buckled herself in. There was a bag in the back that she hadn't noticed, so she reached over and pulled it onto her lap. Minhyuk started up the engine at the same time Ri unzipped the large duffel bag.

Ri gasped and quickly closed the damn thing. Oh god, oh god, oh god, this is-

"What's wrong?" Minhyuk asked but he didn't take his eyes away from the garage doors. There was no time to answer. As soon as the doors opened fully, a gunshot rang out and hit the windshield with a deafening crack!

Ri's heart dropped to her shoes and she snapped her head to Minhyuk, expecting a hole in his forehead or something. But no. He was in once piece. Very, very pale, but unharmed. "It's bulletproof," she breathed.

"I think I'm going to be sick," Minhyuk slammed his foot down on the gas and they shot into the darkness. As soon as they were out of the relative safety of the garage, a hail of bullets rained over them, cutting into the metal and glass of the car doors.

Ri screamed, curling into a ball as the car swerved past the jeeps and shadowy figures. All she could see were flashes of gunfire and the blinding glare of the cars' lights. Minhyuk flinched every time a bullet hit, digging into the bulletproof exterior and leaving webs of broken glass.

Then, they were out. Out of the forest, out of the line of fire. The gunmen shouted to each other and Ri could hear them getting into their cars. She felt like she was getting ripped apart by her own panic. Words lodged themselves in her throat and no matter how hard she pushed and pushed, the only sounds Ri could make were gasps of abject horror.

Minhyuk's lips were set in a grim line and his eyes were wide. The road ahead of them was empty and dark, not a single streetlamp in sight. He quickly switched off the headlights and then, they were completely engulfed by the blackness. What little moonlight they would've had was blocked out by the thick canopy of branches reaching overhead.