Chapter 31- Cages of Doom

XANDER'S POV

My phone vibrates with another email from the private investigator chiming in.

It is a fucking report from my former nurse, Nina. What a fucking timing! I skim through the document while my entire body is in a state of utter shock.

Nina Avery James. A 27-year-old registered nurse who is married to an Italian-American businessman named Stefano de Luca, the son of a business tycoon Antonio de Luca who owns a chain of hotels across America. She worked in various hospitals in Illinois for a couple of years before migrating to Los Angeles a year ago. She is an orphan at a young age and raised her younger sister Anna Avery James alone in the suburbs of Evanston.

She is currently living in with her husband in West Hollywood, Los Angeles and further reports will be attached soon.

From the screen of my phone, I lift my eyes up only to meet Nina's ones which are blazing with rage.

In a fraction of a second, I immediately turn my head and body away from her direction. While crouching down, I lean back against the table from where I am hiding.

Shit. Did she really fucking see me? Did she tell anyone? What to do now?

The paralyzing fear spread through my body like an icy cold, liquid metal. While frozen in shock, I try to feel the surroundings. Everything slows down, and every sound I hear amplifies like the loud and agonizing tick of a clock. The intensity of my tachycardia makes me feel like I could have a sudden cardiac arrest any second from now. I want to make my way out of that goddamn door in front of me to ask for help but I am hesitant to make even the slightest movement.

My breathing and heart rate start to normalize after a few moments, as I didn't hear any rushing footsteps towards my direction, or any shadow looming over me from the top of the table.

With calculated movements, I carefully take my phone out once again. I dial Jace's number to tell him that I need him and the police urgently right now, like literally now, but it just keeps on ringing. Did he fucking set it on silent mode?

Come on, Dude! Answer the goddamn phone!

I slowly turn my head to the side and take another peek on Nina and on what's happening down there. I bite on my dry lip in relief upon seeing her cheerfully talking to an old, muscular man in an expensive black suit with a crew cut white hair like what happened a few moments ago was just my mere apparition. He reminds me of that blind old man from the movie, "Don't Breathe", as despite the age, he looks like he can lift a whole damn fridge with one wrinkled yet well-muscled hand.

My eyebrows crease in bemusement. Maybe it was just my paranoia. I have to get near Emily before the auction starts.

Wait a minute. Where's Logan?

The automated female voice resonates around the corners of this hall once again, announcing that the auction will start now.

The cages are automatically moved by some remote-controlled moving platform beneath each of them. They are then fixed in one line in the center like a beautiful display for everyone to see. Everyone then moves towards the dark side of the room which faces the glass cages. That side suddenly lits up, revealing a pitched floor with seats that are comparable to a high-end movie theatre or a small yet fancy lecture hall.

This room might be cool and beautiful but what is happening inside here is totally a work of the devil. My heart aches at the sight of my Emily who is just slouching inside the cage, looking like someone sucked the life out of her despite the dolled-up face.