○ EIGHT ○

○ EIGHT ○

"I sense hostility"my brother said a he plopped down on the couch next to me.

I glanced over at him, tearing my eyes from the T.V. "Why?" I asked, confused.

"I don't know, it just feels like you've had a really shitty day" he said, as he handed me the pizza box.

"You could say that" I replied, taking a slice and taking a bite.

"Want to talk about it?" He asked, looking at me.

I loved my brother, don't get me wrong, but he kept asking at the wrong times and I couldn't help but snap a little. "Since when did you get all mushy mushy with feeligs?" I asked, snappier than usual.

Chris turned to me, frowning.

"Sorry" I immediately apologised.

"Tell me what's wrong" My brother said firmly.

I rolled my eyes and ignored him. "Shelby" he said, catching my attention again.

I sighed. "Nothing, I'm just worked up over nothing" I replied.

"Doesn't sound like nothing" Chris said as he bit into his slice.

"I hung out with Matt for a little bit and I realised I might have been a bit more of a jerk than I realised" I said, shrugging one shoulder.

"Okay?" He asked, wanting me to continue.

"And we talked and it was epic but then Courtney showed up after Matt said he wanted spend time with me and I don't know, I felt heart broken" I replied, looking away.

"So what you're saying is that my little sister has a crush on her ex best friend this whole time but your hatred of him has overwhelmed that but now that you don't hate him, it's all come back" Chris said, making more sense than my thoughts.

I finished with my pizza and stood up. "I'm going to bed" I said quietly.

"Shelby" my brother breathed out.

"I'm not mad or anything, just tired" I said before leaning down and kissing him in the cheek.

"Thanks for the heart to heart bro" I said before walking up the stairs to my room.

I quickly had a shower before sliding into my comfortable bed. It wasn't long before my brother did suit in his own bed. The house went quiet.
I stared at the ceiling as the moonlight lit up my room.

My eyes were slowly closing when I heard a tap on my window. I jolted upright and looked at the window to see another small pebble hit the glass. Frowning, I loved towards the window and opened it.

Matt was standing on my front lawn, wearing jeans and a leather jacket. My frown deepened. "Hey, did I wake you?" he whisper yelled.

I shook my head. "What are you doing?" I whisper yelled back..

"I couldn't sleep" he said, his voice faint.

"That doesnt explain why you are here in my front lawn" I replied, rolling my eyes.

"Well I was wondering if I could use your company" he said, shrugging a leather clad shoulder.

"Are you nuts?" I asked as if he was insane.

Which he was. "Please?" He begged.

"How are you even going to get it, my brother's room right near the stairs and will hear me if I walk down to open the front door" I said, trying to deter him.

"Move back" he said.

I sighed and moved back, towards my door. I heard a small thump and honestly thought that Matt had fallen to the ground before I saw him pull himself up on my window frame. He clambered inside. "Shh!" I said as he accidentally landed too loud.

I pressed my ear against the door but no sound.

"Your room has not changed at all" he said, looking around.

I walked back towards my bed. "If you can be quiet, there's a spare blanket in my wardrobe" I said, climbing back in bed.
He took off his leather jacket as hand twirled my dreamcatcher around.

"What do I need a blanket for?" He asked as he walked towards me.

"No, no no no, the floor, you are not sleepi- seriously?" I asked as Matt flopped next to me on the bed.

"Suffer princess" he replied a cheeky smile on his face.

I turned away from him to face the wall. "Go to sleep" I whispered.

"Thank you, for letting me sleep here" he whispered back.

I closed my eyes and tried to steady my breathing. It was silent between us and I honestly thought he had fallen asleep before I heard him speak. "Shelby?" he asked.

I stayed quiet, my voice even. "If you're asleep, you won't hear this and that's good" he said before I felt movement.

"Shelby, I'm broken an- and I have no idea how to fix myself" he stated.

I opened my eyes. "Every night, I dream about their death and I shrug it off every morning but it keeps getting worse and worse, sometimes I'm driving the car or sometimes I'm driving the other car, sometimes I'm a pedestrian watching the crash from the street and it continues over and over until I wake up" he whispered.

"Am I insane?" he asked.

I turned my head to look at him and his vulnerable eyes met mine. "You're not insane Matthew Kane, you miss your parents and that's okay" I said, frowning silently.

He raised a hand and smoothed it my frown lines. "I never liked it when you frowned, its distorts your beautiful face" he whispered.

If this was a time for blushing, I would have.
"I'm sorry I pushed you away, you were the one good thing in my life and I ruined even that" he said, our eyes still connected in the dark.

"I'm here, aren't I?" I asked.

He smiled slightly. "I'm also sorry about how Courtney treated you today" he said as my world came down in a flop.

I cleared my fuzzy thoughts. "I don't expect anything less from her" I replied.

"I broke up with her, she didn't take it too well but honestly she is the most annoying person in the world" he said, rolling his eyes.

I smiled slightly. "Well I'm glad you did it for you" I said, my eyes closing on their own accord..

Tiredness drifted over me as I felt myself curl into Matthew's touch. Just as I was about to pass out completely I heard him whisper. "I didn't do it for me"

A/N

DO I SENSE A SPARK?
Late night conversations are the best. I have lots of late night talks with my friends.
How about you?

I hope something becomes of them!

Don't forget to vote and comment!
Love, T xoxoxo