Extra - Time For Tea

What occurred during the dinner Matthew was invited too by Nellie...

Amadeus arrived home a little later than he expected, he had assisted a young woman's return home after she was rudely tripped in the street and twisted her ankle quite badly. As she lived in a poorer quarter of the town, which happened to be found in the direction opposite his home, the trip, though on horseback, had been fairly time consuming. Still, the young woman had been most grateful as had been her many siblings, who thanked him in their crude turn of phrase, with the honest eyes of good children. It had been enough to raise a slight smile upon his usually passive face.

Upon arriving home, he found his family already seated and with them a guest. He made his apologies for his late arrival, before taking his place besides his twin. Mother sat opposite him, beside Father, who naturally sat at the head of the table. Their guest had taken the seat normally used by Cornelius, who sat one seat further on and next to the man. Nellie seemed overly pleased with herself as she sat opposite the guest. As for who their guest was, well even had they not already once become aquainted, who was not aware of Matthew Westcott, beloved third son and fourth child of the Westcotts.

The maid placed bowls of broth before them, rich with cuts of mutton and root vegetables, a platter of fresh bread rolls was already set in the centre of the table. The butler poured a small amount of red wine into Father's glass and waited upon his approval before pouring wine for the guest and the rest of the family. This was a ritual his Father enjoyed. He tasted wines he had purchased from the continent during dinner and should they not meet his approval, they would not ever grace his table nor that of his business partners with wine from that vineyard in the future. As the man had quite the influence upon the continent, vineyards usually supplied him with great samples.

Following Mother leading Grace, spoons were taken in hand and bread offered to the guest and family head. Then Father spoke; "Nellie informs me that you have taken to rent a residence close by, Master Westcott."

"Please, rest on formalities for this evening and call me Matthew," the man offered. "And yes, it is not far from your lovely home. I thought it time to prove myself useful; a son should not rely forever upon his family to provide for him, less he become a wastrel."

"Quite so," Father nodded, though Amadeus could not help but notice his eyes were sliding over to view his first son. Amadeus frowned, aware of the talents that his older brother had that Father seemed intent on denying. "Do you have a direction in which you wish to take in mind?"

"Not as yet," Matthew admitted. "My restlessness is new to me.  I thought I would remain content within my family fold, perhaps later assisting my older brothers with family matters. It simply recently occurred to me that they do not require my help, they are too efficient!"

"Yes, Lord Thomas has mentioned before their capability," Father politely answered. "He is pleased that his son already shows signs of similar talent."

"My nephew is indeed clever and bright," Matthew gladly boasted. "My sister's marriage may have been for entirely political reasons, but I cannot deny Lord Thomas treats her and their children well. I am not as kind a man as he. I would not be satisfied with such an arrangement."

"Oh, you do not wish to marry?" Mother asked, placing her spoon beside her bowl, indicating that she was done.

"It is not that I do not wish to marry," Matthew denied, "moreover that I wish to wed the one I choose."  Amadeus savoured the broth for a moment more, before placing his spoon upon the table and observing the man more closely. Why did it feel to him that Matthew had actually already made his choice? And if such were true, why not declare it?  He assumed there was a reason, perhaps she was of weak social standing or of poor background.

"Then, may I ask," Nellie suddenly piped up. "What is it that you seek in a bride?" The eyes of all of her family members looked sharply at her, but she returned their gazes with an expression of innocence.  Amadeus glanced at Matthew, hoping that he wasn't offended, but couldn't help but notice that Cornelius held a hint of curiosity toward how the man would answer.

"Ah, you may ask," Matthew's face remained pleasant, even if his eyes held no warm regard for she who had queried. "My answer may disappoint you, however. I am not seeking any traits in particular in my bride nor standards. I would rather seek an arrangement of mutual regard, much like that of Mr and Mrs Lincoln-Kay." He turned to offer sincere respect in word and gesture to them now. "Your love is quite the tale to delight over when ladies gather, my cousins and sisters (in-laws) become of face so dreamy as they speak of it. Should such fortune befall upon me, I would feel blessed, even should I not find it until I am more grey than black."

Mother began to blush and even Father's eyes softened as they peered upon her rosy skin. "It is true, I am most fortunate," he said, aloud.

Mother fanned her face to cool it as the maid came to clear their plates ready for a more substantial course. "My compliments, the broth was quite delicious," Matthew said.

"I will of course inform the cook," the Butler mentioned as he cleared away the glasses for fresh ones.  The main course was poultry, therefore white wine would be served.

Mother sighed and picked up from the conversation as if it had not been left. "As fortunate as we may be, 'tis a risk to rely on fate for such bliss. I would rather my children seek a future that is secure, there is a happiness found in such as well as other benefits of good marriages. Feelings can be fleeting, like clutching at raindrops to quench thirst, they do not always prove fruitful."

"Besides which," Nellie spoke as if in agreement with her mother, "instead of waiting a lifetime, would you not prefer instead to have a wife who can give you children?"

"Nellie!" Mother rebuked her, for her directness that bordered upon being rude. Father looked as if he wished to do the same, but Matthew began to speak, while looking at his sister quite directly;

"Even after wedding a young wife, children are not a guarantee," he advised in an emotionless tone. Amadeus sighed; it was clear that Nellie was placing her foot forward to fill the role, while Matthew was rejecting her and which man would blame him?  "And besides, I do believe my mother has enough grandchildren, without the need for me and my bride to provide more." His latter words were lighter and with slight jest.

Amadeus was certain that this man knew exactly the person he wished to wed and more certain that there was a reason that he was not able to. He found his views on marriage suddenly widened. While it was true that he felt Cornelius should be the first amongst them to wed, thus delaying his own prospects, he had never considered his marriage to be more than an arrangement between his father and the father of his future wife. He would not love her and she would not love him. And yet he had always wanted more for Cornelius. He had always felt that his older brother need a girl who was kind, patient and understanding, but girls in their generation always seemed to ambitious, so where was such a girl to be found. He doubted Father sought such a girl for his brother and he doubted more that Father would wait much longer to marry himself off, even at the expense of his brother's prospects.

He sighed. Perhaps it was fortunate that Master Westcott sought a friendship with Cornelius, this extended hand somehow made Amadeus feel less concerned for his brother.

"You require quite the understanding wife," he heard Nellie say, making Amadeus wish that he could settle his concerns for his twin as easily.

Author's note; I had actually wanted to write their conversation when I was in admits of the arc, but did not for whatever reason I cannot recall! However now it is done!