A Simple Accident

The cheer of the crowds, the flashing of the cameras, the boom of the announcers, they all had Izuku on the very edge of himself. While he'd mentally prepared beforehand, going against him was enough to leave Izuku shaking.  Sure, he had his quirk, One for All, down to a rough science, not controlling the power, but the area at which it's activated, but it was a one time use on each limb. Should he work up the nerve to break his fingers further, however, it might cause him medical issues in the future.

Stepping onto the bright cement stage that had been rebuilt just moments before, Izuku wiped the beading sweat from his forehead, and adjusted his gym uniform's tight collar, trying to get a little less heated. On the other end, stood the boy he'd been fearing to fight since first sight.

Todoroki Shouto. Unbeknownst to Midoriya, Todoroki had called him out in between fights, pulling him into a dimly lit corridor, empty from any visitors or staff. Asking him strings of questions, then going over his backstory of abuse from his father. He had lifted up his crimson hair to further reveal his misshapen scar, wrapped around his crystal blue eye. He explained that it was due to his mother not standing the mistreatment, and had finally snapped, pouring boiling water onto the side of him that looked like his father the most. Their lives juxtaposed in the most obvious way, his being black and white, Izuku's being filled with dull and bright neons. After leaving for the front stage, Izuku reminded Todoroki that he wouldn't pity him. That he'd give him everything he had to win.

Back on the stage, Izuku was promptly waiting for the signal to start, and noticed the bored expression on the face of his opponent. Thinking that he was underestimating him, made Izuku's nerves fire with adrenaline and excitement.
Izuku had to plan his way through this fight. While his opponent had much more control and skill, Izuku had raw power and will. Though doubt and anxiety still filled his mind. What would happen if he ran out of fingers to use? Knowing the school's reputation, he could get seriously hurt, how would he be able to cope? Will his reflexes be fast enough?

Midnight had raised her short whip, and was rearing to bring it down. Izuku turned his head straight towards Todoroki, giving a fiery stare into the depths of his soul, trying to stir what fighting spirit the lethargic boy had locked inside. In a split second, Midnight slammed her whip to the ground, yelling an enthusiastic 'start' as she did. Izuku took it as a firing gun and snapped from his thoughts, forcing his legs to move his body towards his opponent. As Izuku still had his doubts on what to do, he watched Todoroki closely, watching him spring ice from the ground every time he took a step with his right foot.

His father was Endeavor, the flame hero. If he can use ice from one parent, then he can use fire from the other. After learning about Todoroki's past, Izuku understood why he didn't use his flames, which could easily quell any opponent, and why ice was his only option, but Izuku felt that wasn't fair. He was using his all, while Todoroki was using only half at best.

Izuku wanted to feel like they were both trying their hardest to win, so he came up with the best argument he could think of as they both neared each other at the center of the ring.

"It's your power." Izuku yelled sincerely. Todoroki paused his walk. As if he'd been shut off by a simple switch.

"My power? What could you possibly mean by 'Its my power'?" Todoroki said stoically, a slight twinge of belief in his ever-flat tone. Izuku sucked in all the cold air and courage he could.

"You're your own person. You have your own quirk. It isn't your fathers or your mothers. It's yours..." Izuku swallowed a metaphorical frog that'd been in his throat the first time he'd ever talked to the other boy.

"Does your dad have ice powers? Does your mom have fire powers? I don't think so. You're the only one that has both! So it's neither of their quirks! I understand that you haven't had the best life, but you should at least have your freedom!" Izuku speeched as he walked closer to the other, feeling a sense of duty, but at the same time utter fear for stepping into territory that wasn't his own. Todoroki continued his walking again, his annoyance and rage growing painfully obvious but the amount of ice chunks shooting from the floor before him. Izuku, who'd slightly shrunk back, gathered his thoughts and continued forward.