43. The Perfect Woman

[Edited]

I felt like fainting.

It felt like someone filled the hall with poisonous gas and I was slowly being suffocated. 

So many thoughts sped through my mind, anger building as I let his mothers words sink in deep, burrowing its way down into my conscience. 

'That lying bitch.'

Guests looked uncomfortably between Jungkook, her, and me, all a mixture of shock and confusion at the announcement none of us were expecting.

"Congratulations, Jeon Jungkook and Kim Jennie!" the announcer spoke to break the awkward atmosphere.

Slowly, a clap started to build through the seated guests, few cheers here and there and said girl stood up confidently, pushing her hair back as she smiled brightly in Jungkook's direction. I soon realized that was the girl who gave me a dirty look earlier and I now understood why.

My name was called from Jungkook's mouth, trying his hardest to subtly get my attention and I tensed so hard that I flinched, meeting the man with bulging eyes. 

I wanted to scream, to cry, run a rampage around the room l but I could only let the fuming pain I felt in my stomach roll at a constant boil without bubbling over. 

Jungkook glanced at his mother in aggravation before meeting my eyes again, just as lost as I felt in this moment. He took my hand underneath the table and I held on for dear life. 

"Y/n," Jungkook said my name firmly, begging for me to listen, the spotlight over his head illuminating his figure.

'This beautiful man is about to be ripped away from me in the blink of an eye.'

"I'm going to figure this out," he continued lowly, eyes smoldering as they held mine.  "You have to trust me, okay?" 

I couldn't move my head to nod, only blink as I remained frozen in place.