kim donghyuk - "corner store" ✰

nothing was more unsettling than the constant smell of alcohol and marijuana in the air at your work place. but then again it was a small corner store on the outskirts of town. hardly anyone came over here unless it was for gas or maybe some high school kids coming over here to steal things.

frankly, you didn't really care to work here. but you ended up here after you believed some stupid promise from an old boyfriend.

when you were younger he promised you that you and him move to a nice and larger city. he promised you that you'd get a college degree and not be stuck in some dump of a corner store.

unfortunately, life had other plans. your father found out about donghyuk and he fled. last you had heard he turned into some drug dealer and that's the last thing you wanted to get involved in.

your dad was the manager of a corner store and he only hired two other works and decided it'd be great for you to work there to get your mind off the donghyuk situation.

unfortunately both were only part time workers and only took weekends, which meant you were by yourself on the weekdays. since no one really came all you could do was think about your possible life with donghyuk.

your thoughts of running away were soon interrupted by the loud ring of the store bell.

"welcome" you mellowly greeted to the man who stumbled into the store.

his eyes were bloodshot red and he had to hold wall to balance himself up right. he didn't reply back to you and just continued walking through the chip aisle.

you rolled your eyes and tapped your finger lightly against the feeble work counter. you were getting quite bored of watching the man walking through the chip aisle over and over again. so you turned your attention the the old radio playing sad music.

"stupid old radio." you muttered as you yanked the cord from the wall. the store became silent and you sighed, "i told him that some new speakers would liven the place up but nooo."

you shoved your hand under the counter to look for your bluetooth speaker so you could actually play something you liked. once everything was set up your favorite song filled the air, although it was played at a small volume since it was 1 am on a tuesday night.

finally, the obvious high young man placed a bag of chips and soda on the counter. and opened his mouth to state something but quickly closed his mouth.

you quickly scanned the item and placed them in a bad, "will that be all?"

the young man hesistantly pointed behind you, "uhm the cigarettes behind you."

you nodded and scanned them too. gently placing them in the plastic death trap. "that'll be 24,212 won."

he slammed 3 bills down on the counter and took his bag.

"uhm sir your change?" you asked awkwardly.

"keep the change." he grunted and aggressively pushed his way out of the store.

the next night seemed to be the same as all the other nights. nothing other than pure boredom filling your mind and marijuana filling the air.