Chapter Twenty-Six

My eyes widened watching the guard push him forcefully. Luca stumbled. Valerio rushed down the few steps, taking Luca by the collar and lifting him off the ground. "What the fuck are you doing here?" Valerio growled, still angry about him hurting Damon.

Luca didn't struggle at all, just accepted Valerio's threatening pose. "I just want to talk to Mae."

Valerio shook Luca. "And, why the fuck do you think she wants to talk to you?" Rage burned in his eyes.

Luca clenched his jaw, yet he stayed quiet.

I crossed my hands over my chest, listening to more threats from Valerio to Luca. I didn't want to talk to him, but I was curious as to why he was here and what he wanted. Why would he come here? Risk being killed or hurt by Valerio?

"Valerio put him down," I ordered. My eyes flickered to the guard behind Luca. "You may leave." He nodded and trotted back to his security position. My gaze drifted back to Valerio, completely ignoring Luca. I turned on my heal, walking to my office. The loud thuds of Valerio's feet pounded against the ground as he pushed Luca behind me.

Once I opened the door, I pulled out a chair for Luca. "Sit." Valerio pushed him down into the chair. Luca looked at Valerio, waiting for him to leave.

I walked around the desk to my seat. "Valerio stays."

Luca clenched his jaw, his gaze drifting back to me.

"What do you want?" I asked with annoyance, wanting him to leave already.

A few minutes passed before his lips parted. "I'm sorry," he started. His eyes became glossy.

My heart raced with anger. "And, what exactly are you sorry for Luca? Marking me? Almost killing Damon? Completely turning into a different man than I've known before?" With each word, my voice raised. I slammed my fists down on the table. I couldn't believe him. What part of this whole situation was he sorry for?

"I made a mistake last night." He averted his gaze.

My heart tightened. I knew exactly what he was talking about. He wasn't sorry for the battle. He wasn't sorry for marking me.

My fingers grazed against my mark. The burning I felt last night. It was from him. Nakida must've fulfilled part of her mission, just as planned. But, a part of me felt bad for doing this to him, bringing back the memories of when Alexandra rejected him.

"I... I... had sex last night with a woman who wasn't you." His voice trembled.

I glanced at Valerio who looked slightly uncomfortable. He scratched the back of his head, then fiddled with his fingers.

"Valerio, you can go. I can handle Luca. If I need you, I'll call you. Please find Nakida. I want to talk to her after Luca leaves," I said through the mind link. Valerio eyed Luca and then nodded, shutting the door quietly behind him.

"I know. I felt it," I said, keeping a stern expression on my face. I sat up in my chair, leaning my forearms on my desk. A part of my heart hurt for him.

It was my fault that Luca was in this position again. I put Nakida on him and now he was feeling like he used to after he slept with a random girl when he was still in love with Alexandra.

No, this wasn't my fault. He marked me without my consent just to hurt Damon. He brought this upon himself.

"I'm so sorry. I... I just... couldn't handle this anymore. Nobody wants me. All my life I've just wanted a mate who loves every part of me. The good. The bad. But, both you and Alexandra left me."

My heart hurt, yet I was still angry about everything that he's done. "Luca, I loved you. When we were friends, I cared so much for you. It was unbelievable. At one point, I was so in love with you, but you were keeping something from me and you were lying about it. How could I love someone who wouldn't tell me something as big as taking back your pack? I don't understand why you would keep that from me. I needed honesty from you, but you kept pushing me away by keeping this secret. I still need honest. And, after what happened, I don't know if I could trust you anymore."