Chapter Twenty-Nine

It didn't make sense. Samuel loved those kids. He spent so much time for them. He watched them grow up. He played with them. Would he do something like this? He was such a good guy.

"FUCK!" Damon growled. He shook his head as if he wasn't believing the man talking through the mind link in his head. He turned to me. "Samuel is gone. He isn't at his home. He isn't even within the pack boundaries."

I turned to Valerio. "Get our best tracker. Find him now."

"Already on it," Valerio said. He turned away, pacing the grounds, his eyes glazed over as he gave our Protectors orders.

"Lock the property down now. Nobody enters. Nobody leaves," I began. "Nakida, come with me. We will go to the last place they were seen and see if we can find something that will lead us to him," I said, storming to the hospital.

She followed after me, trying to keep up with my pace. "Luna, do you think he is the one taking the pups?"

I gulped. I didn't want to believe it. I shouldn't make assumptions, right? Maybe, Samuel took them out somewhere to get ice cream or something.

But, I knew that wasn't the case. He wouldn't take them out without warning anyone, especially when pups were being taken.

It didn't make sense, but at the same time it made perfect sense. He was a male that I cared for, the pups would trust him since he was one of their leaders and he was so friendly towards them – almost too friendly.

How could it be him though? One of the pups from another pack said she saw a female take her. I shook my head. There could be another female from that pack taking them. That didn't mean Samuel wasn't taking the pups from this pack.

My heart tightened in my chest. I didn't want it to be him. How could it be him taking the pups?

My head was racing with thoughts once we arrived at the hospital. The doctors were looking quite frightened as we approach. Their eyes wide, a nervous bead of sweat running down their necks.

"Where did Samuel go?" I demanded to the nurse in the lobby.

She stood behind the desk and bowed her head. "I-I don't kn-know, Moon Goddess."

Slamming down my fists on the table, I glared at her. "Were you working last night?"

She hesitantly nodded her head.

"When did he leave?"

"He was discharged last night at midnight."

"Who was he with?"

"Nobody... he-he was just with my son and his friend. He told me he was going to bring them home because they fell asleep in his room last night. But... but I don't know where he is now," she said.

My eyes widened. "Fuck," I whispered under my breath. One of the pups was her son? My heart ached for her, hoping that none of this was true, hoping that Samuel was just stupid and brought them out for ice cream without telling anyone.

A knot formed between her brows. "Wait... why-why do you want to know? Samuel's missing?"

My gaze drifted from her to Nakida. She quickly jogged out from behind the counter, running a hand through her hand. "Moon Goddess... please... is my son..." Her breaths began ragged as I glanced at her. "Please, don't tell me... is my son okay?!"

Nakida placed a hand on her back, stroking it gently. "Ms., ...."

The woman's eyes widened, realization spreading across her face. She fell to her knees, tears streaming down her face. "NO! No... I can't lose him again. I-I can't." Her fragile body heaved up and down. I leaned down, placing a hand on her shoulder.