Chapter Thirty-One

"No. She left the pack when he kicked her out of the pack house. Volunteering to become rogue. Damon didn't count her as a member of the pack anymore because she isn't one," the spy said.

My heart relaxed. Damon wasn't in on this. I didn't think he was, but I just needed to make sure.

"Why weren't we informed of this then?" Valerio asked. His nostrils flaring. His patience was extremely thin.

"My mission was to watch Damon's pack and she wasn't in Damon's pack."

"No, your mission was to watch Damon's pack and keep an eye on him, Samuel, and Alexandra. If she wasn't there anymore you should've told us. You're required to tell us everything you know," Valerio said, letting out a growl.

I rubbed my hands onto my face and walked towards the window, looking out at the deep night sky as Valerio scolded the man. We've spent all day trying to uncover the missing pups, yet it felt like we got nowhere. All we knew was Samuel and Alexandra were working together and taking the pups. That the divine female was leading the Challengers and that if we find Alexandra she will be close behind.

But, where were they? Where could they be?

My lids became heavy, wanting to fall asleep. I've been up for so long. I didn't sleep at all last night. Yet, I forced them opened. No. I needed to stay awake. I couldn't be sleeping during a time like this.

This was the closest we've become to finding the Challengers and their leader.

"LEAVE!" Valerio screamed at the man. I glanced over watching Valerio hold the spy by the back of the shirt and throwing him out of the room, slamming the door.

"Valerio, screaming and freaking out isn't going to help the situation," I find myself repeating. Despite the situation, a small smile appeared on my face. Him and Damon were too much alike.

"He isn't doing the job I've assigned him to do and now we're here in this situation. I can be angry."

And, I let it sink in. He did deserve to be angry. So, did Damon. So, did I. Being angry wasn't going to help anything, but it could give us motivation; it could give us perseverance; it could give us an advantage. But, if not used properly, it could destroy us.

"Do you think it was Alexandra who took those other pups from the other packs? One of them did say that they saw a female taking them out," Valerio asked.

"I don't know. I don't think so though. How would a rogue cross pack borders without being noticed? I don't think alphas particularly like rogues," I said.

He nodded his head, his gaze distant as if he was thinking.

"It was probably the leader of this clan. The Divine. We should go see if Damon has found anything else out. Maybe, while we're there I can try to contact Aeron to see if he knows anything about this Divine," I said, walking to the front door. "Come with me."

He rubbed his face with his hand. He held out his hand and I grasped it, closing my eyes and imagining Damon's training area. When I landed on my feet, we were on Damon's platforms. In the distance, I saw some warrior wolves running through the woods, but I brushed past them, heading straight for the pack house.

I glanced up at the dark night sky, my eyes gazing at the stars, hoping Aeron would come down at least for a moment. Just as we approached the end of the woods before the pack house, Aeron appeared in front of me, making me run into him.

I bumped into his chest with a thud, his stars lighting up under my fingers. He wrapped his arms around me, trying to steady my tired and aching body.