TWENTY: THE SNOW BALL

Chapter 20: The Snow Ball

"I can't help falling in love with you."

•

The night of the snowball began, and the party were all together - minus Eve. The ball didn't feel right without her but there was nothing they could do. Dustin had arrived, only for his hair to be laughed at.

"Is there a bird nesting in there?" Lucas asked, moving closer to Dustin in order to touch it. It looked like it was alive and had a mind of its own.

Dustin pushes Lucas away with an EE roll, "There's no bird nesting in here, asshole. Okay? I worked hard."

"I'm sure it'll get you all the girls," Will told his friend with a smile. Dustin smiled back, thankful for at least one supportive friend - Lucas was probably just jealous anyway.

"Still no Eve," Will then states as a slow song starts to play, Max looks down with a sigh as all the boys shake their head.

"She's still in the hospital," Dustin says to them, "Steve dropped me off."

"Look at them," Max motioned over to the girls Eve called her 'friends' who were laughing and having a good time together, "they never visited her once."

"I wish she was here," Dustin mumbles to himself as Lucas turns to look at Max.

"Max- Hey," Lucas says awkwardly, a smile on his face, "Um, it's nice, right? You want to, um... You want to, like... You know? Like, just you and me?"

"Are you trying to ask me to dance, stalker?" Max asks the boy, her eyebrows furrowed.

"No, of course not," Lucas shakes his head. Max thinks for a moment - she thought of Lucas as a friend, and she'd dance with him as Eve wasn't going to show, "Unless you want to."

"Come on," Max smiles.

And everyone - excluding Dustin - started to dance, even El had arrived for the special occasion. Dustin had managed to get a dance with Nancy as the night went on.

It came to the last couple of slow songs when the doors to the hall opened and all heads turned as everyone went silent - even the music died down.

In walked Evangeline Harrington, her arm linked with Steve's as he helped her walk in. She was wearing a simple dress and her hair was up in a loose ponytail - makeup minimal. Max let go of Lucas and Dustin let go of Nancy when they saw her.