Part 26 Sleepy Mentoring | Edited

There was no chatter that evening in the library

There was no chatter that evening in the library. No footsteps, no rumbling, only the sound of occasional, distant page flips and ambience of soft rain behind the windows. This place turned into a common area for you and Riddle to study for potions. This late night, you were seated opposite of one another by one table in an isolated, dimly lit corner. Your feet below the table would sometimes brush against one another by accident as the wooden object was fairly small.

Tom felt frustrated whilst lecturing you as he wanted to establish his point yet it seemed like you weren't listening to him properly "It can kill you" - he said

You were tired, your body felt heavy and you couldn't sense what words were flowing from your mouth. It was Riddle though, who insisted on studying for long hours.

"What if I want to die?"

He paused for a brief second "Why would you wish for that?"

"It's just hypothetically."

"Then you are more foolish than I thought."

"Perhaps. It depends on the reason behind death" - you replied "I'd die for the ones I love"

"Do you understand yourself?" - he lowered his book on the table

"You put your own down too and leaned back on your chair "I'm sorry, I'm just really exhausted."

"You wanted this." - He bluntly said

"Yes, I did and I still do, it's just that I thought I'd get to choose the hours..."

Riddle grimaced as if thinking yeah right

"May I ask" - you said "Why do you carry around your diary so often?"

"None of your business." - he bluntly answered

"Alright... That's your choice."

"If this is just a waste of time and you will be irritating me with more personal enquiries in the process of studying then spit it out."

"It's never a waste of time with you. I've been learning quite a lot -- even if the hours drain me" - you told him, looking into his green eyes. His dark eyelashes lowered as if he felt slightly flattered.

He paused for a bit again, gathering his thoughts.

"It is for my personal thoughts." - he said. You felt surprised towards his sudden honesty as you didn't expect him to answer, aware of how private it was "Personal developments. Personal magic. Nobody can read it either way. It is under a spell, only available to me."

"What sort of stuff?"

"That's not for you to know. I assure you, it might scare you away."

"Try me" - you faintly smiled

"You do not know me, <__>. - Tom frowned "We have many differences. I only appear harmless, I assure you."

"I understand" - you told him, your own eyelids growing heavy as you yawned

"Do you."

"Yes. But it doesn't mean I don't want to know more about you and the path you're going through"

"My path" - he calmly repeated "My path is none of your business either unless I say otherwise. One day, you and the rest of the world will experience what I will accomplish."

"Sounds promising." - you already knew what the path he will follow is going to look like and it wasn't promising in a good way

"I will restore glory and Mudbloods will cease to exist at my own hand. You all will fear my name. Fear me." - his eyes darkened with a hint of madness "And I will not succumb to death. You'll see."

His real self was starting to show more clearly, finally

"Why do you want murder?"

"It is the right thing" - he said "Nobility of wizard-kind must be restored. Now stop asking me more questions or this session will be over."

You had to suck it up. You didn't really want to stretch it too far and lose him.

When the studies were over, you found yourself heavily yawning back in the hall. When you opened your eyes you noticed that Riddle was looking at you with a blank stare.

"You often watch people yawn?" - you teasingly asked him

"I do not bore you with my words I hope."

You shook your head "No, it's just really late."

"You should be more thankful for my time."

"In all honesty I am. I understand your effort. It's just I need to get used to it." - you sighed, feeling a faint migraine "Goodnight, Tom" - you walked past him and towards the Gryffindor chambers.

"Goodnight." - he answered, watching you walk away.