Chapter 7; don't piss off the dead.

So this chapter is shorter than normal. I wasn't supposed to update today but I couldn't leave ya'll on such a cliffhanger which is why I'm updating now. The next update will definitely be Friday, I'm hoping to write a few chapters in advance by that point. Once again, thank you for your support and for 5000 reads! Honestly, that's surreal to me.

* * *

The sound of his mate's body hitting the ground would forever haunt his waking life. 

When he had found her alone in that house and later in her burning car, he thought that perhaps there was a chance. Her body responded to his. Her soul moulded with his. The realisation- that knowing- that none of it wasn't enough was heartbreaking. Colden hadn't been enough.

When she faced him on the balcony he thought maybe. Maybe she would learn to tolerate him. Maybe she would forgive him for being so careless. Maybe she would love him the way he had already loved her. He wished he had done things differently. He wished that he hadn't been so foolish.

That maybe would never come. Colden should have smelt her humanity. But he hadn't and it had cost Alice her life, in the end.

It was mind-numbing staring at her body over the railings. Blood was splattered around her, her were eyes vacant yet a smile littered on her face. Colden remembered his ears ringing, he remembered the uncontrolled shift as the animal in him tore out of the human skin and howled in agony. Alice's death had ripped his soul to shreds.

Colden hated himself for what he had done. The moment that he had run down the stairs and ripped through the front doors...the moment that he saw her dead and lifeless body was the moment that he had died along with her. 

Dead. Gone. Alone.

Throughout that year he had his men watch her. He stayed away because he thought that she needed time. Every month was harder as her pain became stronger and her hatred more apparent, for his wolves, for him, for life... Yet she had claimed his soul unknowingly when she gazed into his eyes.

It was the grandest moment of his life and it was the only memory he had of her that wasn't filled with self-hatred. She hated what he was and Colden hated what he had done.

Her body had laid on the ground for hours. Colden rested with her, his head atop of her chest waiting- listening- for a heartbeat. Yet she was dead.

Colden's wolf had cried as he cradled her body with his own, even as the wind battered against them and the sun went to sleep...even as the sky cried its sorrows and punished him for what he had caused.

"You ruined me..."

Alice's voice haunted his mind. In a way, he ruined himself too. It was his fault. It would always be his fault. And maybe, just like her life had ended, his should do.

"Alpha," Tom's voice was soft, sad as another life had been lost. His pack felt Colden's pain and for the first time in his life, he just didn't care.

His Delta stepped forward. All the pack had cleared out and they were alone. The male knew that his wolf would shred him if he touched his Alice. She was his. And she was dead.

"We have to let Doctor Eaton take her, her body has to be prepared for..." Tom swallowed, "it's the right thing to do."

Colden didn't want to let her go. Whimpers pressed his muzzle as he tucked his head in the crook of her neck. She smelt like home. Alice had been his home even when they had been hundreds of miles apart, even when she hated him.

Yet Colden knew that he was being selfish like he had since he had met her. She had been a Goddess in a red dress. His beauty, his mate...

The animal in him retreated, too broken and hurt at the memory. Colden felt his bones crack and shift as he came human and when he did, the tears fell. Screams left his lips as he hugged her body to his chest, her lips still in a smile and her eyes still vacant and wide.