Chapter 70

Mavis offered to escort me back home safely with James leading the way. Several metres ahead of course.
I tried not to be offended.

I don't smell that bad, do I?

When he got to my front door he stopped there and waited for us to catch up. I watched silently on when we arrived at where he stood and he wordlessly pulled Mavis into him, holding her close from behind. His posture relaxing greatly as he lightly inhaled her scent.

Even in the dimly lit late afternoon sky I could see the blush rising to her cheeks and even the tips of her ears.
It was like I was intruding on an intimate moment, and I suddenly felt the urge to turn away and give them some space.
Especially James, whose wolf seemed on edge around me now.
But I understood him though.

I just couldn't help feeling that I actually smelled bad, like maybe a rotten egg or something. I hope this doesn't last.
I didn't know what to say exactly at that moment so I remained silent, awkwardly looking everywhere but at them.

It was Mavis who broke the silence. "I think we'll be heading back now." She said, her voice quiet.
I simply nodded at them and smiled.
"Thank you." And I unlocked the door and stepped in as they turned to head back to their place.

The moment I did though I regretted it.

He wasn't around, yes, but his scent definitely was. And it was killing me right now.
I could actually feel the longing so great that it started to ache, literally. In my abdomen.
So maybe that's what all the pain has been about. I was starting my heat. I wonder if Damon knew that I was entering heat. Wait, what if that's the reason that he hasn't been around lately? Is he avoiding me?

You're being irrational, relax.

I can't relax, I need him here, right now. With me.
I was feeling weird things that I shouldn't be feeling. Imagining even stranger things I haven't imagined before.
Yet I couldn't stop my mind or the other parts of me from calling out to him.
My heart ached, it missed him, by abdomen ached, in fact my whole body ached and I needed him. I just wanted him to hold me. His scent was all over but he wasn't here. I don't know if that made me feel better or worse.

I tried to shake his image out of my head, quite literally I may say.
After I shook my head, and most likely all my brains, for which the original purpose was still unaccomplished, I walked in further into the house and recognised the other scent in the room.

This scent almost made me moan.

My first love.

Food.

I quickened my pace and stepped into the still-messy-from-our-reconstruction kitchen, and was met by a smiling Latifah turning off the stove.
She walked over to me and gave me a huge hug.

"Its been ages since I last saw you." She said inspecting my face as if I'd suddenly aged ten years.
"But I saw you just yesterday." I chuckled. This morning I had left to see Mavis quite early so I didn't see her or have breakfast with her like I normally do. It had been too long since I had seen Mavis. So I was just in a hurry to go see her.
Latifah just smiled and turned around to cover the steaming pot.

My belly ached.
Okay, I didn't know I was even that hungry.

"Because of the state of our lovely kitchen," She laughed gesturing towards the unfinished kitchen. "I had them bring in food from the pack house, I just finished heating it up."

I had to agree with her on that. Even though we were not changing the stove or the fridges in here, the floor still had quite an amount of starch on it. Starch that had dropped on the ground while applying it to the walls. In hindsight, we should have cleaned that up immediately after we were done but we had been so tired yesterday we just called it a night. And now the starch looked quite hard, and quite brown on the white kitchen floor tiles. We would have quite some cleaning up to do tomorrow. The kitchen just looked messy. And also the lack of cabinets and a kitchen counter here would have made cooking somewhat inconvenient.