T H I R T Y O N E

"How many more patients do we have scheduled this afternoon, Diane?" Lina asked, leaning on the front counter, awaiting for the woman's response.

"About five more and then it is the lunch break," she said cheerfully, continuing with her filing.

"Señora?" a woman asked, entering the clinic and pointing her attention towards Lina. She looked upset, sad, and she was a older woman due to her graying hair and the wrinkles around her eyes. She looked at Lina helplessly, nearly on the brink of tears.

"Yes?" Lina asked, turning all of her attention towards the woman, worried from her expression.

"Were you acquainted with my papá? John?" she asked, looking hopeful.

"Yes, I know him very well. He knew my mom when she was younger," Lina said. "Why? What happened?"

"He passed away, last night," she said quietly, weakly, her head falling. 

It took Lina a moment to process what she said and then, like a ton of bricks, realization hit her and her hand shot up to her mouth to cover the loud sob that threatened to spill past her lips. A few tears fell but Lina soon realized she stood in the lobby of the clinic with awaiting patients watching. 

Clearing her throat she placed a hand on the woman's shoulder and guided her to the break room, shutting the door behind them.

"Oh, my gosh. What happened?" Lina asked, her voice cracking and breaking under the news.

"Doctor says he had heart failure," she said, her harsh Spanish accent throwing her words together. "His heart just stop working."

"I'm so sorry, this such terrible news," Lina said, trying to remain calm. "I am Angelina Olsen, John new my mother, Maria Olsen, when she was younger. He was like family to me."

"Yes, he mention you a lot...all the time," she said, smiling sadly at the memory of her father. "I wanted to invite you to funeral...service for him," she said, handing Lina the information on wher it would take place. "It would be an honor if you could come. He had things for you written in his will too."

"For me?" Lina was shocked, astonished. "Why me?"

"He wrote note," she tried to say, using her hands to demonstrate writing. "Said they should be given to Doctor Lina. Lawyer will call soon, they had your number from his file."

"Okay," Lina said. "I will be there, I will."

* * * * *

"You must be Angelina Olsen, correct?" the male lawyer asked, clad in a sharp suit, hair slicked back, smile and eyes lifeless. 

Lina reached out and shook his hand, nodding her head. "Yes, that would be me."

"Perfect," he said, emotionless, staring down at a few documents. "Mr. John Alvarez left behind three items for you. Here is a hand written letter from him, a letter written from someone else and then a golden locket," he explained, sliding over a tray to her filled with the two folded notes and the locket. "I just need you to sign a few papers and then you can be on your way."

Like he advised, Lina signed the few documents, shoved the two letters in her purse and carried the locket out. Once she exited the building she headed towards a corner cafe and sat down to look over the items.

Curious about the locket, she looked at it first, amazed and mesmerized by the beauty of it. It was intricate and detailed with little designs over the front of it. Gently, afraid she was going to break it, she opened the locket and nearly cried at the sight of it. There lay inside a picture of her and her mother, when she was about four, sitting together and smiling. 

She wanted to cry, wanted to scream out in true pain but she kept her composure and opened the letter written by him.

Dear little Angelina,

          I know you hate your name. Well...not hate but you dislike the memories connected with your name. Angelina is the most perfect name for you. Your mother loved everything about you, as much as she loved thinking about that name when she was seventeen years old.
          This may not be said to you often but I am truly proud of you, Angelina. You have accomplished so much in your life, your mother would've been very proud of you. Your mother gave me this locket after you two took the picture, she told me to hold onto it and give it to you if anything were to ever happen to you. Why I didn't give it to you sooner is beyond me, but I believe now is the right time.
           Embrace who you are Lina. You are Angelina Olsen. Don't blame yourself for your mothers death, I can assure you now, I have seen her watching over you. Live your life fully, Angelina. Thank you for all you have done.

Sincerely,
John

Before she knew it, she was quietly sobbing in the back corner of that cafe, clutching the letter to her tightly and slowly feeling her heart break. With the little strength she had, she investigated the other letter, hiccuping as she went. She opened it slowly and pulled out the letter, a picture falling out as she did so.

She picked it up and there she saw a picture of her mother holding her four year-old self and John standing close by them. The picture was worn down from the many years it was tucked away and but it was the only family picture she had now.

Setting the picture aside she opened the letter, shocked to see it had been written by her mother.

My Little Lina,

        I've gotten myself into some dangerous business. I was sticking my nose in some bad business. One day, I'm going to have to pay for it.
        I'm writing this letter to tell you everything I need to tell you before it's too late. I don't know when you'll get this. Maybe a month from now or ten years from now. First off...I love you. I'm sorry to leave you so early in your life. You were the only thing worth living for, Lina.
         Your mom here, was no saint. I ended up becoming a member of the Southside Banshee's during the time I was investigating the Japanese Mafia.  I want you to know the truth, Lina. Your father isn't Vincent Olsen. I know, for a fact. Your real father's name is Aaron Hansen. He'll be waiting for the day when you find him. He knows about you and this letter. When you read it, find him. He should still be with the Southside Banshee's.
          I'm sorry for not telling you this sooner, it just wasn't safe enough for you. Your real name is Angelina Maria Hansen. Whatever you do in life, my love, I will always guide you and protect you and I will always be proud of you. Don't be afraid to live. Follow your heart.

Sincerely,
mom

Lina choked back another sob, sitting there and slowly processing the information she just read in that letter. Her real father...he was alive and not a murderer!

In the midst of her sadness, she felt a rush of adrenaline and rushed out of the cafe, heading straight for the Southside Banshee's clubhouse. She was determined to find him. Find someone.

'Follow your heart.'

For once, Lina finally knew what to do. She knew what she had to do. No more running, no more hiding. Now was the time to face her fears.

Surprise! Early update! Sorry, I was just so excited to write this chapter I couldn't wait til the weekend to do it. To be completely honest, I don't have any set update time so I will literally update whenever. If I haven't updated for a long time that is when you should wait til the weekend.

I hope you enjoy this chapter! Once again, please vote, comment and follow and expect more updates coming up! 

I love you all! :)